Chicken waterer nipples

/ Chicken waterer nipples #11  
I started out with manually filling them. With a flowing spring just up the hill from the chicken shed, going to "constant flow" system was just a matter of time. My great-grandparents actually used that spring for their chickens. With the water flowing all the time, there is no freezing issues.

/ Chicken waterer nipples #12  
This spring bought a few ducks and some guineas. I setup to vertical pvc pipes to feed one horizontal pipe with nipples along the bottom. Got that ideas from the internet.

Think it would be a good setup...but it leaks. Got screw in type nipples from Amazon, and used thin wall sewer pipe.

The thin wall pipe might be the issue, the nipples did not screw in securely. I did put sicilone around the bases. I need to redo this, but those who use, advice please on how to setup. PVC sch 40? A better different nipple, note some use gormets. Or use a completely different setup?

Here's what I setup.View attachment 508864

Use what the pros use: Ideal poultry equipment for broiler growing | Poultry growing | Big Dutchman

If you have any commercial poultry operations around you they should be able to set you up real quick.

/ Chicken waterer nipples #13  
Watering - VAL-CO

Our water system is from this company. We use the roaster style nipple on 10 inch spacing. If your water lines are kept at the correct height very little leak and mess. Current number of birds is 90,000.

/ Chicken waterer nipples #14  
We like to keep it simple. We go into the coops every day to collect eggs, so adding water and food is also part of our daily routine. The double wall metal waters work great. You just have to put them up on a cinder block so they don't poop all over them. At that height, they can easily drink from them, but not stand over and go potty. One will still stand on the very top, but we have roosting branches in the coops that they all prefer to stand on when hanging out in the coops.

/ Chicken waterer nipples
Those commercial watering system pretty fancy. Like Eddie says...need it a littler simpler.

One thing I notice, the nipples are on square tubing, and also little catch cups for dribbles of water.

/ Chicken waterer nipples #16  
We like to keep it simple. We go into the coops every day to collect eggs, so adding water and food is also part of our daily routine. The double wall metal waters work great. You just have to put them up on a cinder block so they don't poop all over them. At that height, they can easily drink from them, but not stand over and go potty. One will still stand on the very top, but we have roosting branches in the coops that they all prefer to stand on when hanging out in the coops.

No offense, but screw that.

I use three 5-6 gallon buckets for water, add and/or change once a week or so.

I use one 5 gallon bucket with a 3" PVC elbow glued to it so that the chickens have to stick their head into it get food. No mess and no wasted and/or pooped on food. Fill it once a week or so as well. Here's some pics:

LL

LL

Here's the BYC thread on making them: Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Any water or feeder that is open will pooped on, scratched into or simply wasted unless it's contained. That's why I stopped using all those typical open ended waterers and feeders. No mess, holds a crap ton more water or feed and very little if any waste.

I have 10 hens and one rooster. He's a mean little bast*** but he protects his hens, so there's that.

/ Chicken waterer nipples #17  
Indeed. Delivering table scraps, collecting eggs, and spending some time with the ladies daily is one thing; but the chicken feed, water, and doors should be automatic and no mess.

Indeed. Delivering table scraps, collecting eggs, and spending some time with the ladies daily is one thing; but the chicken feed, water, and doors should be automatic and no mess.
I AGREE.

/ Chicken waterer nipples #19  

I haven't touched one of my coop doors since the last time I opened it up one day, which was about 1 1/2 years ago. My coop doors stay open 24/7/365. My two Great Pyrenees/Lab mixes are excellent guard dogs. Haven't lost a chicken yet.

It's where I'm headed, but I don't need more dogs. Right now, 5 ducks, 14 gunieas. All will free range.

Having said that I have this coop next to an 8 acre pond. I've let the ducks out the last couple of days thinking they would surge towards the water. They haven't. Little puzzled by that. But raised in a pen...didn't have this coop ready to use until just a few days ago. With out doubt...they need the pond to be their sanctuary. We've had deer killed right in the yard by coyote. SO...will they take to the pond over time?