Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive!

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #1  

Soldier415

Platinum Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota L3010GST. 2005 Kubota L3430HSTC
Been pricing out adding a 30x40 foot metal pole barn building with a 12' lean to on one side, single roll up door and 4 windows. Got a quote from Morton's Buildings for $40k. A quick estimate from DIY pole barns website puts materials at $27k for the same and an estimated build cost of $12k

Land clearing and excavation is another $9k estimate. Then concrete for the pad at another $8k

I had a budget of $30k I wanted to stay within. Looks like I may just have to settle for putting up a 5 bay 3 sided wooden lean to to keep tractors, attachments, ATVs and mower out of the rain and sun.

Any other companies I should be looking at for the building?

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #2  
My neighbor just put up a giant barn for his horses. He got the run-around from Morton, so he went with Cleary. Honestly, though, I think you'll find that they're all about the same general price.

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #3  
Hired out a 30 x 30 a year and a half ago, raised gravel pad, 12' walls, concrete floor for $26G, A good contractor might do better than the big builders who might not be hungry for the work..

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #4  
Material prices seem to be about the same. To save money I did my own land clearing and did the building myself. Had to have the foundation and concrete pad done professionally but in doing the work myself I was able to do my 30x50 two 12x12 doors and two windows and entrance doors for 28k plus the price of a new welder to do the structural work.

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #6  
8K for a 30x40 pad ? or are you adding in the 12' lean to also ?

I get 4" thickness poured/finish/sealed here for $3.25 sqft, so 30x40 (1200sqft) is about 4k.

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #7  
you can get a 50x60 with 15 leanto for 11 grand here no walls and concrete poured for about 12k

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive!
Hired out a 30 x 30 a year and a half ago, raised gravel pad, 12' walls, concrete floor for $26G, A good contractor might do better than the big builders who might not be hungry for the work..

Got the number to a Mennonite guy who does barns/buildings about an hour away. Going to give him a call

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive! #9  
I'm glad I bumped my insurance up on my barns when I bought the house after reading this.

My exterior structures was at $15,000, I bumped that up to $150,000 for $20 a year more lol.

I have a 22x32 barn with 12x36 lean to (stalls) and a 12x15 lean to that's concrete with its own garage door, that barn has a full 22x32 hay loft. The other barn is a 15x32 steel building, both have concrete floors.

IMG_0023.JPGIMG_0035.JPG

I really have no idea what they would cost to build new. Previous owner was in construction and built them himself.

/ Mother of God Pole Barns are Expensive!
Material prices seem to be about the same. To save money I did my own land clearing and did the building myself. Had to have the foundation and concrete pad done professionally but in doing the work myself I was able to do my 30x50 two 12x12 doors and two windows and entrance doors for 28k plus the price of a new welder to do the structural work.

I wish I had the skills and experience to do it myself. Was born and raised in suburban CA by a single mother so never was exposed to the standard DIY stuff.

Moved to rural VT in 2013 and have been teaching myself a whole **** of a lot through trial and error.