Anyone still use rope to tie things down?

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
When I was little (now 26) my dad always used rope to tie down his smaller loads, mowers, quads ext ext. it wasn't until later that he went primarily to ratchet straps.

I still remember trying to get the rope tight and tie knots so it stayed tight, I guess it was a useful skill to pick up.

Now I hate rope lol, I won't ever use rope as a tie down, only thing in my box is bungie cords and various sizes of ratchet straps but it got me thinking, anyone prefer to use rope?

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #2  
Rope still has its uses...

rope.jpg

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #3  
I carry a duffle bag in my truck with ratchet straps, bungees, and ratchet ropes. I got the ratchet ropes from Menards but they the same as these Carolina North 1��2� 3/8" Rope Ratchet with 8' Solid Braided Polypropylene Rope, 25�-lb. Capacity: Ratchet Tie Downs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
They get used more than the straps or bungees, and are much easier to attach or remove. I originally got a few with some Thule kayak carrier kits, and I learned to use them on all sorts of loads.
Of course they are for lighter loads, but they also sell a 500lb limit 1/2" model Carolina North 135 1/2" Rope Ratchet with 15' Solid Braided Polypropylene Rope, 5-lb. Capacity: Pulling And Lifting Ropes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #4  
Using rope for tie-downs requires knowledge. Using bungee cords requires none, and ratchet straps require a little.

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #5  
Learn your knots. The right rope won't stretch and the right knots are quicker than straps.

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #6  
Learn your knots. The right rope won't stretch and the right knots are quicker than straps.

Thats where the "rub" comes in. Most people won't take the time to learn the techniques and put in the hours so that the "muscle memory" kicks in and you can tie them while talking to a friend on the phone or thinking about something else. People want easy things. Knot techniques take time and are not easy.

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #8  
I like a good piece of rope myself, but it depends on the load. Ratchet straps & bungie straps have there (very different) place also.

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #9  
I never use bungee cord, rope most of time. Big loads straps or chain.

/ Anyone still use rope to tie things down? #10  
Using rope for tie-downs requires knowledge. Using bungee cords requires none, and ratchet straps require a little.

Yep. Everyone should be comfortable tying a trucker's hitch. Extremely useful and safe especially when you need to put tension on the standing part..