Horse Manure removal

/ Horse Manure removal #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
So we have horses at home. Looking for some good way to get rid of their "left overs". So manure, urine and wood shavings used for bedding.

Looking at a spreader. We have some areas we could spread.

Looking at having wast hauler remove. They want $200/mo for a 4 cubic yard dumpster that will be emptied weekly. That does not seem like enough cubic yards.

Have a guy who says he wants "some". Cant give me an idea of how much or how often.

What about burning it? How bad is that gonna smell? Also how do I start the pile on fire? Just light a wood fire and add manure to it? How bad is that for the environment?

Any other thoughts?

/ Horse Manure removal #2  
Get a spreader and spread it

/ Horse Manure removal #3  
Compost it and put a sign out and you'll find takers.

/ Horse Manure removal #4  
Compost, makes great fertilizer.

/ Horse Manure removal #5  
spread it or compost it. We float between 15 and 25 horses and I spread it every couple months with a 200bu spreader. No way I would pay someone to take it off my hands.

/ Horse Manure removal #6  
Compost, makes great fertilizer.

You've heard of sheet happens ? Well Sheet burns, too. You mixture is perfect for burning. No flames, just smolders. Smells like burning cork. A couple of FatWood sticks will get it going, then it will burn for days. What's left is even better fertilizer because all the weed seeds are now 'gone'.

/ Horse Manure removal #7  
I spread ours once a year. That allows it to break down before spreading. I have occasionally loaded it directly into the spreader when the weather is nice, but you don't want to do that in freezing weather.

The $200/month option sounds easiest, but it's more expensive over time. So it comes down to personal preference.

/ Horse Manure removal #9  
Depends on the number of horses and how long they are in the stall. We have 2-4 horses at any given time. Two stalls open out into 1 acre paddocks, the other two stalls do not. Horses are out all day, only up at night. We tried the dumpster route, 4 cubic yard, and it was OK except the wife did not like looking at it and smelling it. Also the truck will eventually cause ruts unless you have a concrete drive all the way up to the dumpster. We ended up with a small Loyal towed spreader behind the Mule. We have to spread manure every other day.

/ Horse Manure removal #10  
I compost mine. By putting it in a pile it will naturally compost with no smells and not attracting flies. I turn the pile over with my tractor every few months and let it sit one year before selling it for $35 a pickup truck load on Craigslist. I start a new pile every 4 months and with 6 horses the pile never starts out larger than a small dump truck load of sand. By the time it composts it is less than 1/3 that size.

The only problem with that is it takes me $350 worth of feed, hay and shavings to make a $35 load of compost.