pellet stove pointers?

/ pellet stove pointers? #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
Buying a new place. It has propane heat. Around here, I can get softwood pellets for $220 per ton and I believe Propane for about $2.35/gallon, so I am thinking supplementing with pellets make sense economically.

anything to look for when buying a pellet stove. Anything in particular to watch out for when considering a used pellet stove?

/ pellet stove pointers? #2  
How are you planning on venting it? Does the new place have a suitable, doable location that is somewhat centrally located? You can't use the propane furnace chimney, it needs it own. Is there an electrical outlet close by?

The larger the pellet hopper is, the better off you'll be.

I'd be leery of a used one, unless I could see it working, or know and trust the seller. If used, then what about the availability of parts, if needed? They flooded the market with a lot of models that aren't around anymore, parts are hard to find and very expensive to buy. (To make you feel better, my stove is over 8 years old and I haven't had any problems with it, just clean it on schedule and it's good)

There's a big difference in the quality of pellets, I've never used softwood pellets, always hardwood, low ash. Don't stock up on pellets until you're pretty darned sure you're buying good ones.

Some pellet stoves generate a lot more noise than others.

I'd assume you have a convenient place to store your pellets?

At those prices, the pellets are about 1/2 the cost of LP.

/ pellet stove pointers? #3  
Have heated with pellet stove for over ten years. I agree with the above on quality pellets is a must. The better the pellets the better the stove will operate and less problems you will have. I believe the first one I bought was a US Stove and it is still heating the house I bought it for. There weren't lots on the market when I bought it so picks were limited. The place I have now I shopped for several months and read every review I could before I bought a stove for it. Vent correctly, good pellets, and read, read read all you can.

/ pellet stove pointers? #4  
An over looked point;do you have dry storage;the bags weigh 40lbs.;is your spouse able to handle if you are not around?
You may want to consider a coal stove.

/ pellet stove pointers?
I thought softwood was less ash than hardwood?

Coal is not a realistic option.

I would put this stove where a wood stove is currently, and move that the the garage.
The other option would be to just leave the wood stove where it is and supplemental heat with wood, but I was thinking pellets would be cleaner and denser to store. If I can't find a pellet stove cheap enough, that's what we will be doing.

/ pellet stove pointers? #6  
Do not buy any pellet stoves from Tractor Supply, they are junk at a cheap price made in China. Also none from U.S Stove, pay for a good stove and you'll get many years of service, mine is going on 19 years at 3 tons of pellets a year.

/ pellet stove pointers? #7  
I recommend Englander stoves, the bottom feed means you can run for a week or more without emptying the ashes, and no more klinkers...

/ pellet stove pointers? #8  
Buying a new place. It has propane heat. Around here, I can get softwood pellets for $220 per ton and I believe Propane for about $2.35/gallon, so I am thinking supplementing with pellets make sense economically.

anything to look for when buying a pellet stove. Anything in particular to watch out for when considering a used pellet stove?
Buy a new quality pellet stove from a dealer and not the Local TSC store.We have burned wood pellets for the last 13 years to heat our whole house.Purchased a Avalon pellet stove(made in USA)by travis Ind.company no issues after 8 years of 24-7 use.First pellet stove was a Quadra-fire which had a lot of issues.

/ pellet stove pointers? #9  
Agree with the other, good quality stove, and good hardwood pellets. For $220 ton you can buy good hardwood pellets.

I have a Harman xxv, great stove. Can burn a half ton before I have to clean the ash dump. My old cheaper stove you cleaned daily.

/ pellet stove pointers? #10  
If you're using the chimney the wood stove was vented through, you'll need to put in a stainless liner. Pellet stoves use a 3" or 4" pipe, depending on length of the run. Not a real big expense and easy to do yourself.