New String Trimmer?

/ New String Trimmer? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
My old Echo string trimmer has pooped out on me; was in the shop last year, and the guy said this model had carb problems and a new carb was expensive enough that a new trimmer was really the way to go. My question is: Can anyone recommend a trimmer in the $200-$250 range? I want one that (1) STARTS EASY; (2) is light and easy to carry, and (3) has the string head where you individually insert the two pieces of string. My research so far, has little if anything to say about the Echo; seems that he Cub Cadet and the Huskvarna are right up there. Any testimonials to share...anyone?

Thanks in advance;

Dennis

/ New String Trimmer? #2  
I bought the Echo GT225 a few years ago for my wife. Lightweight, nice balance, curved shaft, insertable string. My wife has no problem starting it. What looks like a primer bulb is actually a purge bulb so less problems with flooding I guess. Like you, my wife loves the insertable string. I never had much luck with the "tap-n-go" or autofeed heads.

/ New String Trimmer? #3  
My Wife just bought a small Echo (no idea what model, I didn't look that close, probably the GT225) yesterday with the insert string head. She likes it a lot more than our heavier Husqvarna. I like the Husqy a lot (in it's third season now, trouble-free), and the Echo looks like it's pretty well-made, too.

/ New String Trimmer? #4  
I have a Stihl FS-70r. That version might be a little big for your needs (it is the low tier commercial version- straight shaft) but an FS-40 or 50 might be right up your alley. They have all manner of string heads you can attach included the two string insert head type. I can't say enough good about my Stihl. Three pumps of the primer and it starts first pull every time. I have 5 acres of property I am currently converting from unkept woods/pasture to a home site and the FS70 is my #1 tool. I take care of it in terms of maintenance (keep the heads cleaned off, run non-ethanol gas through it, use quality oil and make sure my mix is right) but abuse it in terms of usage. There is nothing I won't try to cut down with it. My brother has the FS60 and a larger brush cutting Stihl trimmer and all 3 of our machines get used and none of them have ever let us down.

/ New String Trimmer? #5  
My old Echo string trimmer has pooped out on me; was in the shop last year, and the guy said this model had carb problems and a new carb was expensive enough that a new trimmer was really the way to go. My question is: Can anyone recommend a trimmer in the $200-$250 range? I want one that (1) STARTS EASY; (2) is light and easy to carry, and (3) has the string head where you individually insert the two pieces of string. My research so far, has little if anything to say about the Echo; seems that he Cub Cadet and the Huskvarna are right up there. Any testimonials to share...anyone?

Thanks in advance;

Dennis
I'm a Echo fan I've own two of them now. I think mine is the "power head 266". I gave nearly $400 for it and the trimmer end. I use the Speed Feed adapter string head. It's been a good investment as I've got two acres of weeds and fence line to keep clean. My current line of choice is the ugly line triangle yellow and I don't let it set in the sun and it does just fine. bjr

/ New String Trimmer? #6  
Had ECHO for many years and work the heck out of them all kinds of conditions...life span 5-6 years,like the old saying goes you take care of it,it will take care of you.

/ New String Trimmer? #7  
I love my Stihl FS56RC. It has the tap to release line head and it works well. It is the first one I ever had that really releases line when tapped. You do have to tap it before the line gets too short or it wont have the inertia to pull the line out. I have one of the heads that you put the two pieces of line in and I hate it. You have to carry around a pocket full of the sticks which is a PIA.
The 56RC is a straight shaft string trimmer and is a little heavier than the curved shaft but I need the extra length to keep from having to stoop over so much when using it. It has plenty of power to use .095-.105 diameter line which will wade thru the heavy stuff. I prefer the square string over the round as it seems to cut much better and not wear as much. I have owned mine for a couple years now and it is easy to start- prime it 5 times, put it on start (choke) pull twice and it cranks every time. I run the tank dry when storing it for the winter and never had any carb problems.

/ New String Trimmer? #8  
I prefer the square string over the round as it seems to cut much better and not wear as much.

Absolutely. I started using that stuff last year. Huge difference.

/ New String Trimmer? #9  
I have a Husquvarna- does ok. Pretty good for starting. My wife like to use a string trimmer but she can't start it easily. I had bought one with a battery starter, but that was junk. She went and bought a cordless 40v Ryobi string trimmer. She loves it. She never has to wait for me to start it. She can cut about an hour on a charge. But she cuts for 10, gardens, cuts for 10, works with the horses, cuts, etc..
Then she charges it. We just got a cordless 40v Ryobi chainsaw that uses the same batteries.
I'm using two canes now and she loves the freedom it gives her to do things - fallen limbs, etc. on her own without waiting for me.

/ New String Trimmer? #10  
I love my Stihl FS56RC. It has the tap to release line head and it works well. It is the first one I ever had that really releases line when tapped. You do have to tap it before the line gets too short or it wont have the inertia to pull the line out. I have one of the heads that you put the two pieces of line in and I hate it. You have to carry around a pocket full of the sticks which is a PIA.
The 56RC is a straight shaft string trimmer and is a little heavier than the curved shaft but I need the extra length to keep from having to stoop over so much when using it. It has plenty of power to use .095-.105 diameter line which will wade thru the heavy stuff. I prefer the square string over the round as it seems to cut much better and not wear as much. I have owned mine for a couple years now and it is easy to start- prime it 5 times, put it on start (choke) pull twice and it cranks every time. I run the tank dry when storing it for the winter and never had any carb problems.
I bought the Stihl FS55R a few years ago and have to say that I hate it. #1 Hard starting (minor problem). #2 That feed head NEVER fed the string properly...would leave one end short (beyond the capacity of the feed mechanism) requiring re-stringing the whole head (major problem). And yes I used Stihl string in whatever diameter it called for.