Battery powered weedeaters

/ Battery powered weedeaters #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
Considering getting one. My wife using a corded one which breaks the line repeatedly. She's always after me to cesspool them. She admits it's at PITA.

She won't use the gas power one, due to weight, but ALSO the vibration. She has issues with her arms due to the vibration.

Question. How controlled is the vibration on these type of trimmers. And which current one is the best performing one?

/ Battery powered weedeaters #2  
I've never actually used one but I've held several and they're heavier than my gas one.

/ Battery powered weedeaters #3  
I have a Black and Decker Brush Hog. It's really lite and works well for my yard. I'm not too impressed with the battery life however so have two batteries and two chargers.

/ Battery powered weedeaters #4  
I have an EGO weed eater...
I've had my gas powered units that always became a PITA to start and are pretty noisy. The EGO is pretty well balanced, battery goes for quite a while, easy operation. The string used is .095" and will take down stalky vegetation.
The batteries are lithium-ion...best to have two on hand. Another nice thing is the EGO batteries fit in any EGO product, so if you buy something else (I also have the chain saw and leaf blower), you can buy the "bare bones" (no charger, not battery) products for considerably less money.
I've had the unit for two seasons now...I like it as much as when I first bought it. It's probably the first week eater I've owned that I haven't cursed out repeatedly.

/ Battery powered weedeaters #5  
I have one and it is what I use 95 percent of the time. It is the Ryobi, and probably is not as robust or as powerful as the one Roy mentioned, but it works for me. I am old and fat, so have only run down the battery once, and let me tell you I was done by the time the battery was done. A younger man would want to have two batteries on hand.

No problem as I have several as the batteries fit all my other Ryobi tools. The weed eater was fairly cheap as it came with no batteries or chargers just like I wanted it to.

Sure my huge and very heavy gas powered weedeater is more powerful and will cut down light brush that my battery powered weedeater wont touch. But the battery powered is the one I grab and go trim with.

You won't miss the noise, the vibration the stink the fuel mixing and keeping fuel fresh and the starting hassle at all.

The battery powered one is much quieter, and mine has no vibration. It is lighter than my gas one, but is not feather lite. as the motor is down there near the ground, but the 4 amp hour battery does balance it somewhat. But I am no where near as worn out as I am packing my gas trimmer up and down these steep hills here in branson.

I have a DR power trimmer on wheels, that I brought from the "flatlands" when I moved here, but it hasn't been used here in years. It always wants to roll away from you down hill and it just wears you out try to hang on to it or pushing it up steep hills. It was great when I was a "flatlander"

Don't hesitate, pick a good battery powered weedeater and never look back.

/ Battery powered weedeaters #6  
My father in law has a Kobalt 80V one and loves it. Less vibrations than the big gas one and comparable power when the battery is good.

Aaron Z

/ Battery powered weedeaters
I have an EGO weed eater...
I've had my gas powered units that always became a PITA to start and are pretty noisy. The EGO is pretty well balanced, battery goes for quite a while, easy operation. The string used is .095" and will take down stalky vegetation.
The batteries are lithium-ion...best to have two on hand. Another nice thing is the EGO batteries fit in any EGO product, so if you buy something else (I also have the chain saw and leaf blower), you can buy the "bare bones" (no charger, not battery) products for considerably less money.
I've had the unit for two seasons now...I like it as much as when I first bought it. It's probably the first week eater I've owned that I haven't cursed out repeatedly.
Roy, what's the vibration like?
Just read some reviews that put the Ego as best value one.

/ Battery powered weedeaters #8  
Roy, what's the vibration like?
Just read some reviews that put the Ego as best value one.

I've never felt vibration...I guess it's there....just never noticed it

/ Battery powered weedeaters #9  
I have the ryoibi 40v one, I like it the battery lasts about 30 minutes of continuous use, quite a bit longer real time though since it starts instantly. I also have the hedge trimmer that uses the same battery it works well.

/ Battery powered weedeaters #10  
I just bought the Ryobi 40V mostly because I was looking at the pole saw option. I used it once and was not impressed. It would be fine for someone who is only trimming grass around the house but it will not cut anything tough. I even have to go much slower along the sidewalk than i have with either of my gas trimmers.

I think a lot of the issue with the Ryobi is the low RPM. There is not enough cutting power. The fact that it is only a 15" cut dramatically reduces the tip speed (read cutting power) as well. I was also shocked at how little torque the motor has.

Still it is lighter, quieter, and easier to use than a gas one and works fine for light trimming. As for me it is going back - it is certainly not as advertised "Gas Like". It has nowhere near the cutting power my 30 year Ryan which was the cheapest trimmer I could find back then.