Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !!

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I admit it, I screw up a lot. But most of these are not from my personal experience. Well,..a few might be.

Feel free to add on just please number them.

#1. When paying with a credit card never put your wallet back in your pocket (or purse) until the card is returned to you. Leave the wallet sitting on the table in front of you at a restaurant or on the counter with your hand on it in a store. Make this a habit and you will never have to backtrack two hours on an interstate when you stop for gas and realize your card is in Bum**** Florida at a Cracker Barrel.

#2. Only the person driving the vehicle and exiting with the keys in their hand are allowed to lock the doors. The passenger never locks the doors unless asked to by the driver. Passengers locking the doors at a rest stop at 11:00 at night may not realize the driver didn't have to pee and left the keys in the ignition as they got out to stretch. This can lead to marital conflicts. Especially at a rest stop in Florida that has a big sign telling how dangerous it is and how many people have been robbed/murdered there. And very especially after said driver has just backtracked two hours to pick up a credit card left at a Cracker Barrel.

#3. Never get out of your vehicle and leave the keys in the ignition without leaving a window at least partially down. See #2 above.

Give me a second to calm down.

#4. When loading a trailer to be pulled by your car/SUV/pickup always be sure there is more weight in front of the axle(s) than behind. Putting more weight to the rear of the axle will raise the back of your vehicle and you will fishtail all over the road. This is a scary thing. This is a very scary thing. It will make you call Home Depot and talk bad to them after they load your trailer with blocks and you were too busy talking (flirting according to your wife) with the young ladies doing the loading and you didn't notice how they were loading the trailer because they were bending over right in front of you loading the blocks. (I admit, this one was me.)

#5. In the case of a fishtailing trailer do not try to correct against the pull of the trailer. In aviation this will cause "Pilot Induced Oscillation" and will make the fish tailing worse. All you can do is steer smoothly side to side in your lane ignoring the trailer. Sometimes this will stop the fishtailing. While doing this let off the gas and coast to a stop on the side of the road. Then take deep breaths and calm yourself.

#6. Nearly everybody has MAD money stored somewhere for an emergency. Do not keep ten $100 bills. Instead have $200 each in ones, fives, tens, twenties, and fifties. During the 2009 ice storm in our area I had plenty of cash in $100 bills but nobody had change. So I had to drive two hours on drained lawnmower gas to buy a generator and fill all my gas cans.

Feel free to add to the list. I was trying to be serious but got a little carried away sometimes.

Just try to number them.

RSKY

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #2  
When you have a pickup with a plastic (not sprayed-on) bedliner, don't depend on friction to keep a stack of OSB in place. Ratchet straps are your friend.
:duh:

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #3  
When you have a pickup with a plastic (not sprayed-on) bedliner, don't depend on friction to keep a stack of OSB in place. Ratchet straps are your friend.
:duh:

Nor will parachute cord keep your wife's brand new refrigerator secure on that slip in plastic bed liner:eek:
(A friend of mine proved this and the OSB thing :laughing:)

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #4  
Yep flirting with the Home depot girls gets you nothing but trouble.

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #5  
"Don't worry Honey as long as I am looking; Start to Worry when I stop looking as I may have found something." As you get to my age looking at the Lowes and Home Depot girls is definitely fun!

Back on Subject: Testing for for voltage with your fingers guarantees your daily JOLT! Joking aside though; in my younger day I worked with an old time electrician whose fingers were so calloused that he could check for voltage that way. He could even tell the difference between 240 and 120 volts. I asked him about 480 volts and his answer was "I may be brave but not stupid".

Ron

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #6  
Coleman fuel is a poor substitute for charcoal lighter fluid.

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #7  
Don't try and dump a dump trailer going down hill hooked to the 3pt. Use the draw bar.

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #8  
#7. Don't try to ratchet down a small number of sheet goods flat. It provides almost no down pressure. Bring along (or buy) a 4x4 and ratchet it in place on the sheet.

#8. When traveling with family in an RV and are making a rest stop, don't assume everyone is back on board. You certainly don't want to be embarrassed 4 hours later after being pulled over by a trooper who commented on such fine looking children and being asked which is the proud mother. (True story)

#9. While passing a truck and noticing the twisted straps, think twice about giving negative opinion about his tie down technique. It's done intentionally to prevent high speed harmonics (vibration) due to airflow. Bonus points if you admire the well placed bundle of excess straps cinched under.

/ Advice from the voice of EXPERIENCE !! #9  
A hydraulic wood splitter is dangerous to use as a hydraulic shop press.