I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today

/ I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I picked this millstone up today, don't really know anything about it, other than the owner found it on an old farm he purchased years ago. It'll be cool yard art. It's 28" in diameter and 10" thick. The center is 5"x5". Not granite, sandstone maybe? Any thoughts on it?

IMG_6046.JPG

Last edited:
   / I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today #2  
Grindstone? They used a stone that would wear away.Keep it dry off the ground if you want it to last- especially if you have freeze cycles in your area. I used to use one in my forge - I dipped water on it before I'd start grinding.
Nice stone.

Here is an image off of google:
grindstone.jpg

/ I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today #3  
I picked this millstone up today, don't really know anything about it, other than the owner found it on an old farm he purchased years ago. It'll be cool yard art. It's 28" in diameter and 10" thick. The center is 5"x5". Not granite, sandstone maybe? Any thoughts on it?

View attachment 512716

Neat!

I think if it was a millstone, it would have grooves radiating out from the center towards the edges...

Millstone_Anatomy.jpg

/ I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today
I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today

The only thing that has me thinking it isn't a grind stone is the outer edge. If you zoom in on the picture you'll see the chevron like grooves. Maybe it was used in a vertical position for milling somehow? They're all the way around the circumference of the outer edge.

/ I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today #5  
Maybe it's a wheel from a Flintstones prototype!

/ I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today #7  
Neat!

I think if it was a millstone, it would have grooves radiating out from the center towards the edges...

Millstone_Anatomy.jpg

I don't think I've ever met a millstone expert. But now I believe that I have! Excellent chart and info - thanks!

PS The only millstone expert I've ever know was an old aged uncle with dementia. And his 'millstone facts' seemed to change with every description.

/ I picked up 28" millstone of some sort today #8  
I don't think I've ever met a millstone expert. But now I believe that I have! Excellent chart and info - thanks!

PS The only millstone expert I've ever know was an old aged uncle with dementia. And his 'millstone facts' seemed to change with every description.

I'm no millstone expert.... however, I'm almost proficient in google searches!! :laughing: