Vacationing in Maine

/ Vacationing in Maine #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
The wife and I are going to take a one week trip to Maine later this summer. Flying to Boston and driving up. We will spend 3 nights in Bar Harbor and the remainder time just seeing things along the coast. This will be our first trip to Maine. Any suggestions on things to do and see?

/ Vacationing in Maine #2  
Stay along the coast and find some nice Inns or B&B. Go antique hunting in most of the small towns along the border with NH.

-R

/ Vacationing in Maine #3  
Bar harbour is really nice. Or at least the last time I went there it was. But that was also 25 years ago :rolleyes: Spent quite a bit of time there as a kid. Cousins have a summer home across the bay.

Acadia national park at sunset is a pretty spectacular sight to see. We watched fourth of July fireworks from the lookout up there one summer. That was a whole new experience looking down at the fireworks show :)

Acadia National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

The little shacks along the coast offering fresh seafood are really good as well. Mind you my info is pretty dated :rolleyes:

Deep sea fishing is pretty fun as well. :)

/ Vacationing in Maine #4  
Portland is a real foodie town and they have great breweries too. My wife and I are headed up there next month.

/ Vacationing in Maine #5  
We enjoy Belfast. The former pilot boat Timberwind sails from Thompson's Wharf several days per week using 100% wind power. Tons of fun. Lunch at Crosby's in Bucksport. Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast. Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory is a must on a clear day. The Lobster Shack at Two Lights on Cape Elizabeth on the way up or back. Any number of outstanding restaurants in Old Port, Portland. Museums in Rockland. Owl's Head Transportation Museum. Lighthouses up and down the coast.

L.L. Bean in Freeport, Bath Iron Works and Maine Maratime Museum. We rely on TripAdvisor for help when traveling. It's a great resource.

/ Vacationing in Maine #6  
Monhegan Island is fun to visit, hike, ocean, etc. Visitor friendly. Take the ferry out from Port Clyde.

rt 95/295 from Boston area is the fastest to get into the state. Rt 1 is scenic but accumulates traffic.

Boothbay is great too. Plenty of inlets to explore.

Freeport is your classic LLBean and everything else for sale.

Maine Atlas by DeLorme is a great mapbook of everywhere in the state- walking, hiking, driving, etc.

/ Vacationing in Maine #7  
Just be prepared, the coast gets very crowded in the summer. If you have time, spend a day and stay the night out near Mt. Washington in NH. An easy ride west on 302 from the Portland area (2 hours). They have a road up to the top of the mtn (6200' iirc) and it's a nice break from all the ocean congestion. The "Kank" or Kancamagus hwy is a beautiful route across the mountains to Lincoln NH where there are a lot of very interesting natural treasures along hwy 93, the Flume, Cannon mtn tram is fun and there are several other cool things to see all in a small area. You can return to boston from there in a pretty direct route south not to retrace your return to 95 & the ME coast. Google these items & see for yourself. Have fun!

/ Vacationing in Maine #8  
I live about an hour East of Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor has improved a lot over the last few years. The Bar Harbor road (the single road in and out of town) flows much better now, many building restorations on the waterfront. Its really coming together. I'll try to think of some things other than small shops, Acadia National Park, and the waterfront that you may not find on the radar.

Food First:

* If you like movies, pizza, and beer, reel pizza smack in the middle of barharbor is a great little place. Reel Pizza Cinerama - Bar Harbor, Maine, movie theater.

* There are places advertising Lobster EVERYWHERE, they are all delicious, any place you see along the Bar Harbor road is good

* A great place for breakfast, without tourist prices, would be just outside of barharbor, the Riverside Cafe is Ellsworth

Shopping:

* If you like antique hunting, there are many along the Bar Harbor road, but they are $$$. 30 minutes away, the best and most MASSIVE antique store ever. Big Chicken Barn Books & Antiques

* If you like antique tools that are still meant for work, this place right in Bar Harbor cannot be beat Jonesport Wood Co. Old Tools, Books, Antiques, Prints and more!

* One more antique place, which trumps the first antique tool place, but would be on your way to or from Bar Harbor is Liberty Tool Welcome to Liberty Tool!

Sight Seeing: You'll find lots right in Bar Harbor, so here are a couple just outside I could think of.

* Not sure of your planned travel route, but if you happen to be driving US RT1, the The Penobscot Narrows Bridge in Bucksport has an observatory, its 450' high.

* If you are traveling the RT95 the Maine Forest and Logging Museum in Bradley is worth the time, Has a working water powered Mill. should you enjoy this type of thing. Maine Forest & Logging Museum You should call in ahead of time to see whats up. This place is a hidden gem, depending on perspective.

If you want to see where lobsters and blueberries are really coming from, beyond the tourist towns, you'll have to keep heading East. But Bar Harbor is Beautiful, and you'll have a great time.