AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Rural King has a Del-Ton AR-15 on sale for $359.99. And a DPMS AR-15 for $399.99.

Are these guns any good?

Just wondering. Blind spot in right eye makes aiming a rifle very difficult BUT would like to have one just to have one.

RSKY

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #2  
I have a DPMS. I like it. These may not be "primo" rifles, but mine works and shoots well. Have you tried a red dot sight?

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #3  
If those are the only choices I'd be in the DPMS camp. A lot can be done to upgrade and change if need be.

Sounds like you need to shoot left handed- I'm assuming that's your dominant eye at this point anyway. Folks with far greater hurdles have adapted to out shoot us.

If you choose left handed they make ARs that have left hand controls- however most don't use them- another case where folks adapt.

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #4  
My first AR was a Del-ton kit built on a stripped Double-Star lower. Worked fine, zero issues. Still have it, still good to go...

Nick

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #5  
Del-Ton? Never heard of them.

DPMS is First Tier. Think, "Colt" at their prime. Small American owned company. Highly recommended by John Farnam. (Not as well known to the general shooting public as Masaad Ayoob, but in the same league.)

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #6  
Del-ton is an NC based company (Elizabethtown) that made components & accessories for years before going into complete rifles. I bought my kit from them back in 2008. You could order a standard kit or roll your own configuration. They were good folks to deal with & delivered quickly.

Nick

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #7  
I have both DPMS and Del-ton. I like the Del-ton better than the DPMS. The Del-ton also comes with life time warranty.

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #8  
I buy a lot of guns at Rural King. Their prices are almost always the lowest.
... I have the DPMS, it is my cheap AR, that I have decked out for nighttime varmint plinking, and it sits next to the bed for quick access.
..out of 8 AR platform guns i currently own, the DPMS is my least favorite, but most used. LOL
It does shoot fine, and after the first 20 rounds or so, I haven't had any jamming issues at all
.. I would say you couldn't go wrong with it for $400. I think I paid $500 for it a year ago.
... Just be sure it's not the Sportical version, as it doesn't have the forward assist, or dust cover....... Of course that may not matter to you.

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #9  
Nothing wrong with either. Both make several different levels of guns.

IF you are looking at an entry level sub-$600 AR, there are about a dozen different ones to choose from. Rugar AR556, smith and wesson MP15 sport, the delton, DPMS has a few entry level, CMMG, core-15, bushmaster, windham, etc etc etc.

IMO, there really isnt much difference in any of the entry level guns. They are all carbine length DI gas systems, nothing fancy about the barrel, furniture, etc. About the same as you can get with different engravings to designate a brand.

When you start getting into upper level stuff, mid and rifle lengths, different barrels and chrome lining or nitrided , piston operated, etc. Then there becomes some differences. But for entry level, dont much matter.

/ AR-15s, Del-Ton and DPMS #10  
So, in general, those of us that one one or the other and some that own both are advising that either will be just fine. And heck at those prices, you can't go wrong. Don't you wish you had a time machine, and could take out a loan to buy 100 of them at today's prices and sell them 2 or 3 years in the past at those prices. Betcha do!