Storing gas like I do diesel

/ Storing gas like I do diesel #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I buy diesel at the pump into a 55gal drum back of *****. I gravity transfer to a veritical 55gal drum in the barn with a pump/nozzle setup. It has worked well. I using have just a little gas, for weedeaters etc, but very little. Mower, tractor, utv all diesel.

I thinking of getting a Mule Pro gas version, diesel's harder to come by, and they are more expensive. Really wanting the Mule for the extra seat and the wider seats. When company comes over, there's simply no room at all to cart people around. It's been a problem for some time now. Mule came out year or so after I bought the gator, and have been wanting to change since then.

My questions is....On storing gas, is it feasible to buy in 55 gal drum like I do the diesel, but lift the whole setup up on a rack and gravity feed anything that needs gas? Don't like the extra volatility but neither to I like half a dozen gas cans sitting around either.

/ Storing gas like I do diesel #2  
With gas the slightest spark can set things off.
Everything needs to be grounded to everything.
Gas station pumps have special grounding built into the hoses just to avoid sparks.

Aviation regulations had specific grounding points for fueling operations and even used tools that were spark proof.

I have seen 'gas caddies' offered that might be the way to go.

/ Storing gas like I do diesel #3  
I need to store gas for my side by side. I picked up a 30 gallon gas caddy with pump off jet.com. It has worked very well.

/ Storing gas like I do diesel
I need to store gas for my side by side. I picked up a 30 gallon gas caddy with pump off jet.com. It has worked very well.

Glanced at it....how do you get it in/out of truck. Do you fuel it while it's in the bed of your truck?

/ Storing gas like I do diesel #5  
Glanced at it....how do you get it in/out of truck. Do you fuel it while it's in the bed of your truck?

I run a couple of 5 gal cans when I making a trip to town to keep the caddy full. One neat thing is the caddy pump will work backwards so I put the caddy nozzle in the 5 gal can and run the pump backwards to put the gas into the caddy. On this machine I have to mix the gas to get the octane up a bit. Using the caddy helps keep the mix uniform.

A couple of times I have hauled it in the back of the truck to fill it and then use the FEL on the tractor to set in back in the shop. That actually works pretty easy as well. I just find it easier to keep it full using the 5 gal cans.

/ Storing gas like I do diesel #6  
Here is the one I have. Gas Caddy. The fuel level indicator doesn't work but I don't really need it.

/ Storing gas like I do diesel #7  
You had a bunch of engines feeding off your 55 gal of diesel... how many would the gas mule join? If you were burning through it bulk storage might be worthwhile, but...

/ Storing gas like I do diesel
You had a bunch of engines feeding off your 55 gal of diesel... how many would the gas mule join? If you were burning through it bulk storage might be worthwhile, but...

Yes understand, but to get gas, I need to use the truck, and it makes the 16 mile trip to town more difficult for other things. My 2002 Duramax has 235K on it, but the last 5 years I've put 1K a year on it. Only use it for hauling....and getting diesel. With gas cans can't get that much at one time, and for sure I don't want to stick stinkin gas cans in the Explorer on any of the other trips we make.

Most likely if I do change UTVs, I'll do just that to size it up though. There is a closer gas station, in fact I could drive the utv to it, but it's 50 cents or more higher per gallon, but it is an option.