What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high.

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
We are in the process of going over our bathroom. Drywall work and all the stuff that goes with it. Even with ventilation there is a lot of humidity, so I'm asking you folks if you have had any luck with a certain type of paint for such conditions. Thanks in advance. RRM

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #2  
John Deere green with Kubota orange accents

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #3  
Green sheetrock is more mildew resistant.
David from jax

Sorry, missed you asking for "paint"...so my recommendation is wrong.

Last edited:
   / What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #4  
I bought some Benjamin Moore paint for a laundry room this spring and the guy mixing the paint asked me if I wanted it mixed for bathrooms. I asked what the difference was and he said it was mixed to be more of a moisture barrier.

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #5  
If I remember correctly their is also an option for mildew resistance paints for use in humid areas like bathrooms. I have also been satisfied with Benjamin Moore products.

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #6  
For bathrooms I use exterior grade high gloss. It works quite well.

If your wife wants that high fashion flat paint look, you will have problems.

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #7  
puke green is always good for the loo.

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #8  
In military gang showers we used high gloss epoxy. Easy to keep clean and and impervious to moisture. I believe it is available in semi-gloss also. Follow the manufacturer's instruction to the T. The one part type is easier to do for small jobs.

Ron

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #9  
If I remember correctly their is also an option for mildew resistance paints for use in humid areas like bathrooms. I have also been satisfied with Benjamin Moore products.

I added some of this to the paint on my last ceiling paint job in the bathroom.
M-1 7.5 oz. Advanced Mildewcide-AM7.5 - The Home Depot

Used to have a mildew problem over the shower/tub and haven't had a problem since using this. I believe it can be found in a smaller quantity. The place where the paint is mixed likely could add it as well.

/ What paint do you recommend for my bathroom, Humidity is high. #10  
You can add stuff to paint to slow down the growth of mildew, but it's not very effective.

Since the last administration changed the laws in how paints are allowed to be made, only Valspar and Sherwin Williams seem to be any good. Prices have gone crazy because of this too. Valspar at Lowes is the better bargain, but if you want the VERY BEST, go to Sherwin Williams. I think their best of the best is around $85 a gallon.

For bathrooms, and especially for rental properties, I always use exterior paint. It's designed to deal with the weather, and it offers a lot more protection. I'm not a fan of semi gloss on the walls. It reflects so much light that you see every imperfection in the wall. Studs are wood, and with all things nature, they move and change shape over time. All you need is one stud to bow a little and that's all you will see on a semi gloss wall. This is why flat paint is used on ceilings, it hides the sag from the joists.

Even more important then the paint used is the primer. My personal favorite to the point that I won't use any other brand regardless of how far I have to drive, or how long it takes to get it, is Zinsser. The 123 is an excellent primer that soaks into new sheetrock and gives you a very solid finish to apply your paint. After the law was changed on how paint had to be made, the paint companies came out with a sales gimmick saying the primer was built into the paint. People fell for it and tried to paint without primer. It took twice as much paint, or more to do the job, so the paint companies sold more paint!!!! Nothing replaced good primer. There are other brands, but none come close to what you get out of Zinsser.