Clogged Toilet

/ Clogged Toilet #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
I have a down stairs clogged toilet that I have plunged for five days with no results. The first few days, the liquid would drain over night but not anymore. Its getting nasty now and my wife hates me useing her bathroom and I hate using hers. Is there anything on the market to break up this clog without hurting the pipes or septic tank? Again I plung every day Im blue in the face.

mark

/ Clogged Toilet #2  
Usually it's my wife that clogs the toilet.... are you sure there is not a hard object obstruction down there? vs. soft obstruction? Are you missing a toothbrush? I would think running a snake down the line is in order....

/ Clogged Toilet #3  
I'd say it's time for an auger. They have a short (3') toilet auger for plugs in the trap or a 50' hand auger if that doesn't clear it up. Last try would be a HF power auger.

/ Clogged Toilet #4  
My son in law had a downstairs toilet that was plugged up. He got a tampon out and thought that was it, but alas, still plugged. The electric snake would not go down very far, so he ended up pulling the toilet. He found an apple in the toilet, it came out in pieces. A stern lecture to teenage female users of that bathroom and all is well.

/ Clogged Toilet #5  
My first question would be, does anyone else use this toilet? Are you sure the clog is brown in nature? If so, plunging should work. If you are not sure use a toilet auger. If that doesn't work pull the toilet and run a garden hose through it back words. Sooner or later you'll get the toy, Q-tips, tampon keys or whatever else is missing.

/ Clogged Toilet #6  
You say downstairs. Is this toilet gravity drain to the septic tank or pumped to it?

/ Clogged Toilet #7  
I have a down stairs clogged toilet that I have plunged for five days with no results. The first few days, the liquid would drain over night but not anymore. Its getting nasty now and my wife hates me useing her bathroom and I hate using hers. Is there anything on the market to break up this clog without hurting the pipes or septic tank? Again I plung every day Im blue in the face.

mark

RIDGID 59802 K-6 DH Toilet Auger, 6-Foot Toilet Auger Snake with Drop Head to Clear Clogged Toilets with Hard Angles Amazon.com: RIDGID 5982 K-6 DH Toilet Auger, 6-Foot Toilet Auger Snake with Drop Head to Clear Clogged Toilets with Hard Angles: Home Improvement

The 6' is worth the extra money. The other concern would be if you don't have a shower downstairs. If that's the case the toilet is the lowest point and the main line or septic tank could be plugged or full.....hopefully it's just the toilet and a closet auger will do the trick.

/ Clogged Toilet #8  
It is possible that the clog is far down the drain pipe. If you have a clean-out and the clog is stubborn you can use a drain balloon. I have had had luck with this a couple of times where the clog was stubborn and a hose alone would not clear the clog - a drain balloon will stop any back flow and send all the water down line toward the septic.

If you don't have a clean-out, try the auger option. If that is not feasible, or if the clog is far down the line as mine was, you can take the toilet off and go into the now available opening with the drain balloon. A lot of work to take the toilet out and reinstall, but sometimes that is what has to be done.

When we moved here there were no cleanouts so I put two clean-outs both accessible from outside the house. We have a septic tank with a rather long run from the farthest toilet. It clogged 2-3 times a year so the clean-outs have been a real help.

/ Clogged Toilet #9  
X2 on checking the septic tank clean out. See if the tank is backing up. If not go ahead and pull the toilet and see if you find the clog. Two nuts and a water line is all you have to disconnect. First turn the water off and flush it then let the water drain down if you can. You will need to go to the store and purchase a new wax ring to put it back on.

If the tank is backed up you probably have a drain field problem. The first thing to do in that case is have the tank pumped and see if they can determine if the drain field is toast.

The first time I ever had to pull a toilet was when my daughter dropped a plastic toy in the toilet and flushed it. I was plunging and plunging and she walked in the bathroom, looked into the toilet, and said Oscar! Yep Oscar the grouch was stuck deep inside and had to be pulled out the bottom.

/ Clogged Toilet #10  
I second the closet auger as a starting point and/or alternate to pulling the stool. Years ago I had a 'rough' 90 underground, where a septic line had been re-routed to city sewer. 4" CI was connected to same with 3 30* of 6" clay tile, providing a second weir that caught and clogged on paper.

Built over crawl vs basement there was no cleanout anywhere in the soil pipe. I was able to snake the clog from the roof as alternate. Eventually I replace the o'sized tile with PVC 45s and attached with 'Ferncos'.

Point is, if you have a trouble spot it won't go away. Now that I'm associated with Plumbers/contractors I learn that it's considered a small detail to jackhammer a concrete floor to repair or replace U'G traps or backflows and re-pour. If your stool pumps up to septic, your ejector pump may be clogged or struggling somehow and you may need to open the 'crock' and see what's up.

btw, Whatever 'yuck' gets on you will wash off as easily as from a plumber, so wgo in with no fear or expect iffy results. t o g