2017 Total Solar Eclipse...

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
I'm curious how many members are in the direct path of the coming eclipse : http://www.astroadventures.net/2017/USA/images/USA-Eclipse-Track.jpg and the reactions they are seeing from their communities...

Around here (direct path in N.E. GA) a little bit of anxiety is growing over the attraction...nobody knows exactly how big the crowds are going to be...Anyone with a large lot has been selling "parking" tickets for several months...all the local businesses are gearing up for all the extra traffic...I have not seen anything like it and local authorities are saying the crowds/traffic will be a one of a kind happening and even they don't know what all to expect...

For locals it means stocking up on basic grocery items, fuel etc. in advance of the date...at this point I'm not sure what is going to be more interesting to observe...the actual eclipse...or the ordeal...!

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #2  
My home in Seneca, SC is in the direct path. I'm willing to rent it out for $1,000/night, 10 night minimum. Any takers?;)

Steve

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #3  
I am in the path and ordered solar eclipse glasses a few months ago. I am not in a rural area and have not heard much about any preparations around here. The NPR show Marketplace on July 24, 2017 did a segment at the end of the show about farmers in Oregon selling camping spots to tourists. Also watch out about fake eclipse glasses from China and get the real thing instead Safety | Total Solar Eclipse 217.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #5  
Welcome to the Gulf war. It was like a solar eclipse every day with all the oil wells burning.

mark

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #6  
Lots of local parties/events at Tennessee Tech, local winery, state parks, etc.. We are just barely off the maximum duration path.

Local officials ARE concerned that they have absolutely NO idea what sort of influx of folks there might be.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #7  
My daughter goes to SIU in Carbondale, which is in the direct path. They won't have classes that day and have all sorts of plans. The hotels are all full up. I'm not sure when the next total eclipse is but Carbondale is in its path also.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #8  
I will miss this eclipse but will catch the next one :D

I live a close driving distance to direct line but will be going on a 100 mile camping trip that morning away from the line. Dang it!

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #9  
WOW, selling tickets to an event that the BEST seat in the house is 3500 miles long or are there people that are so dumb as to beleive its only being shown in one town?????

PT Barum was right...sucker born every minute.

Hey StonyPoint, I got so excited when I saw the opportunity to rent your house for only a $1000 per night to see that eclipse, but that same 10 days is when I wash my hair so guess I will have to pass but put me on your mailing list for the next one...thanks.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #10  
I am not in the path of totality, but I intend to operate my amateur radio equipment during the event. Many scientific organizations have asked Amateurs to operate on various frequencies, before the event and report signals levels to establish a baseline and then during the event to see what changes occur to signal levels and qualities. There is a place to send our logs and observations in. It is expected of course to have some dramatic effects on D layer absorption during the event and immediately after. It is not know what other effects it may have.