Ductless Mini Split Wiring

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I'm installing a ductless mini split this weekend in order to get Air conditioning into a room on the second floor of the home. The location where the compressor unit will be installed outside is directly outside of a totally finished room in the basement. Trying to get wiring out that outside wall for the power for the compressor would be tough.

However, when I did some remodeling in the home I ran a PVC chase tube from the basement to the attic. So getting power from the panel in the basement into the attic will be super simple. My thought was that I could run that power line through the soffit and down the wall to the compressor. I will be using speedi-channel to conceal the mini split line sets, so I could run the compressor power line through the speedi-channel alongside of the line sets.

Does anyone know if there is a code issue with that? I know that code varies from state to state but I'm wondering in general if this is a bad idea. Also, the wire that I would use to run the 220 from the panel to the compressor I'm assuming is going to be similar to a romex in that its encased and not THHN. I know you're not supposed to run anything other than THHN through conduit. My chase tub is 1 1/2" PVC so it shouldn't be a problem with heat or anything.

Thoughts?

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #2  
why increase the length of wire for a high current circuit UN-necessarily, find a way to penetrate the wall like thu the sill plate or rim joist in a more traditional manner.

Trying to get wiring out that outside wall for the power for the compressor would be tough.

Tough doesn't equal IMPOSSIBLE!!

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #3  
I dont see it as problem as long as the wiring is in conduit.......

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #4  
If you can get to the outside between the panel and that room, or at the panel, what about running conduit around the house near the ground? Then it can be concealed by shrubbery or other plants.

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #5  
Hi Guys,

I'm installing a ductless mini split this weekend in order to get Air conditioning into a room on the second floor of the home. The location where the compressor unit will be installed outside is directly outside of a totally finished room in the basement. Trying to get wiring out that outside wall for the power for the compressor would be tough.

However, when I did some remodeling in the home I ran a PVC chase tube from the basement to the attic. So getting power from the panel in the basement into the attic will be super simple. My thought was that I could run that power line through the soffit and down the wall to the compressor. I will be using speedi-channel to conceal the mini split line sets, so I could run the compressor power line through the speedi-channel alongside of the line sets.

Does anyone know if there is a code issue with that? I know that code varies from state to state but I'm wondering in general if this is a bad idea. Also, the wire that I would use to run the 220 from the panel to the compressor I'm assuming is going to be similar to a romex in that its encased and not THHN. I know you're not supposed to run anything other than THHN through conduit. My chase tub is 1 1/2" PVC so it shouldn't be a problem with heat or anything.

Thoughts?

I'm confused. The wire will be run on the inside of the building- through this non conduit conduit. The line set will run on the exterior in speedi-channel. The above is an assumption based on your description.

How does the line set and romex end up together?

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring
The power for the compressor would run from the panel in the basement up through a chase tube going to the attic, across the attic and then down through a hole in the soffit and into the speedi-channel. It would exit the channel at the bottom near the ground and hook up to a power shutoff on the outside wall next to the compressor.

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #7  
You are going to love your new mini split. I have had one for 2 years in my garage. What did you purchase? Are you going to pull your own vacuum or call an HVAC tech to do it for you?

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #8  
The power for the compressor would run from the panel in the basement up through a chase tube going to the attic, across the attic and then down through a hole in the soffit and into the speedi-channel. It would exit the channel at the bottom near the ground and hook up to a power shutoff on the outside wall next to the compressor.

The answer to your question about romex in speedi-channel is no. Romex isn't rated for outdoor use and speedi-channel isn't approved for wiring.
Where the romex leaves the structure you will need to add an exterior rated junction box and transition from romex to single wire like the THHN you mentioned above. From the junction box you will need to run down the exterior wall with appropriate conduit (I'm assuming parallel to the speedi-channel and into a disconnect at the compressor. From the disconnect you will need to run outdoor rated flex into the compressor.

To be frank your idea doesn't sound like a good one. The posts above are on point- through the rim joist or conduit near the ground would be a better choice based on my understanding of your description.

Good luck!

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring
I found the copper line, that goes from my furnace room horizontal about 12 feet (above the ceiling) and then outside, for my central air. Looks like I could drill a new hole through the wall next to where it comes out and then use a long fish to pull a line from my furnace room to the outside wall so that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

/ Ductless Mini Split Wiring #10  
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that the power for the wall unit comes from the compressor and is included and runs with the "line set" from the compressor to the wall unit(s). Might even be low voltage DC with the "modulating" variable speed fan.
I'm going to install one and am doing the wiring (for the whole addition) this fri., well my cousin is. He's an electrician and told me that for the past 10 years he's only supplied power to the compressor.:confused3:
I'm looking at Mitsu - LG - and another I don't remember.