anyone have laying hens????

/ anyone have laying hens???? #1  

polecat

Platinum Member
Tractor
ISEKI TL3201 38h.p. 4x4
i have 2 ?'s....how long does it take for a laying hen to hatch her eggs?? and how long before an egg dies??i have another hen who laid an egg and about 3 hrs. later in about 65 degrees i stuck the egg under my good layer...will it make it??
THANKS
TODD

/ anyone have laying hens????
u didn't answer my ????'s and of course my eggs r inseminated!!!!!!!! duuuhhhhhh is what my better half jist said
!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
think i have that part covered but how bout the answers and how many do u have???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Actually have it double covered as have had @@@@@@@@ roosters tag teamin my hens(they grew up together) and is kinda funny to watch!!! One will jump on and his thing and the other will run over squawkin and try to knock him off and then do his thing..The most most agressive of the 2 had an unfortunate thing happen to him last week..he has consistently tryin 2 attack the better half and had 2 shoot him thru the eyes with the bb gun as he's always runnin from me and knows better that come round me although bout 2 weeks ago i fed'em all and turned and walked away and din't he jist surprise the heck outa me when he attacked the backs of my legs!!!! grabbed a stick and u should've seen him run down back into the woods after i gave him a real good head start with a big ol chunka wood that literally picked him up and put clean over the cliff the house we have is built on ...looked like he was runnin frome the devil himself....I lmao and the better half was lookin out the window(she was attacked by a rooster as a child and could kick butt on most of the men i know but is still scared of a little old hen /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and jist started gigglin and teeheein!!!!
TODD

/ anyone have laying hens???? #4  
Big issues is the sitting hen going to stay there. If she is a good broody breed then they may make it. Eggs take 20-25 days to hatch. Make sure you watch them when it gets close to hatching day. THe chickens may eat the chicks when they hatch.

Most folks go to man made incubators that heat and turn the eggs for you.

I have 4 laying hens and 16 month old chicks waiting for them to be of laying age.

/ anyone have laying hens????
thanks gw!!!! she hasnt moved in a week ...at all .....and i've actually been really worried bout her and been bringing her water and food to her nest!!!! happy cluckin n eatin 2 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif how bout the ??/how long will an egg last "inside life " after being laid???/

/ anyone have laying hens???? #6  
I am not sure of the question you ask "inside life"? If your asking how long can a egg last not under a hen? Thats going to vary based on temp. I wouldnt worry about a few hours. I have seen eggs layed by one non broody birds being found by a broody bird hours later and they hatached. You can grab one of the eggs and "candle" it, Take a flash light and shine it through the egg. You should get an image of whats inside.

/ anyone have laying hens???? #7  
Polecat -- If you go to my Webpage you'll find a link to our Chicken Page. Plenty of practical information there. Have fun! Pete

/ anyone have laying hens???? #8  
I have about 30 hens and a few roos.
It takes 21 days for an egg to hatch from the time a hen sits on it. A fertile egg can sit for a week or two and remain viable. It won't start to develope until the hen starts to sit on it or you put them into an incubator. That way, regardless of when they were layed, thay will all hatch within 24 hours of each other. A broody hen will get up once or twice a day to eat, drink and eliminate. Don't worry about her, she won't starve. It is a good Idea to separate her from the others, so new eggs aren't layed in her nest.

Good luck. Just sit back and let her do all the work. It is great fun to watch the hatch and see how she cares for them after.

For more info on everything chicken, check out this site.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/msgboard.html
The people on that board are great and very helpful

/ anyone have laying hens???? #9  
So, here's the question for those with chickens. Is it worth it? Do you just eat the eggs or do you feast on Chicken as well? I have read about it and thought about it but just can't seem to answer my own question. Is it worth it? Mostly, I don't want to end up with some chickens I wish I didn't have.

Mike

/ anyone have laying hens???? #10  
When you start to wish you didn't have them is when they go on the rotisserie.