Direct TV vs Dish Network

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #51  
I own my dish equip, direct would only lease.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #52  
A friend of mine owned his own equipment... Well, it became his after two years and when he started having problems with it, the provider wanted him to pay for replacement!

I don't own mine and after a few years it started acting up, they came out and replaced the receiver and remote...no charge...

SR

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #53  
I switched to dish about 15 years back. Because Direct kept raising the rates. Which Dish does also but not as often. I've had same 2 receivers for about 11 years and one stared messing up. So called Dish. They sent out a tech who installed 2 new receivers at no cost. The only issue is I have to reprogram the timers and favorites guide listing.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #54  
They charge you monthly to rent their equipment, around $5 a receiver last I saw.
Dont remember what i paid for my HD Receiver, maybe $400, but over 15 yrs it would have cost me around $900 to rent. If you switch back and forth between dish and direct it doesnt make sense to own, but has worked for me. I did finally add their insurance to mine, so if it fails they will replace it free, think that was $4 month, so cutting into my savings some. I have done all my own installs, need to move the dish again, trees starting to block it some.

Last edited:
   / Direct TV vs Dish Network #55  
I don't think I have the maintenance option. When it was set up I had 2 receiver units with 2 receivers in each. One unit has the dvr function so I can record 2 programs at the same time. I have the local channels and the cost total is 98.98/mth for the 120 pkg

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network
I don't believe Dish or Direct allows you to buy their equipment any more. I just returned my Direct TV receiver and 1 remote to them today. They didn't want the 2 Genie mini's back or anything else back, just the DVR and 1 remote. When Direct TV first came out way back when you could actually buy a self install kit and do the install yourself. Pretty simple stuff actually if you have any wiring experience.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #57  
Been awhile, but last i checked dish did, direct didnt.
Amazon sells dish equipment.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #58  
just looked at my bill, prices have gone up. $9 for maintenance, $7 just to have dvr capability, $7 for 2nd receiver.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #59  
Definitely can still outright buy dish equipment. My receiver now $99. $250 for hopper. At $9 month maintenance, probably should drop it.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #60  
We've collected a few times on the maintenance...

So far, they have replaced the box to a MUCH better one and also replaced the remote.

They have also replaced a wire I hit with the snow blower (my fault) AND fixed, I don't know what, when the dish went out... I actually believe that time it was the installers fault?

I'm not big on "insurance", but this one seems to be working out...

SR