Direct TV vs Dish Network

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
After 10 years I'm about fed up with Direct TV and their tactics. Now owned by AT&T. Thinking about switching to Dish Network, 2 year price lock and no more BS hopefully. Thoughts??

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #2  
My buddy had cable, didn't like the BS, so he moved to Direct... He didn't like THAT BS either, so he moved to Dish... Well, there was too much BS there too, so he just used his antenna for a while, now I see, he's back to cable!!

ME, I don't like Dish, so I'm with Direct... Do they have BS ?, YES, are they too expensive ?, YES, but we still like their programming, so we are still with them.

From what "I" can see, none are any better.

SR

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #3  
Just my opinion but I've been dealing with DTV, DN, and Cable for years. They all have their tactics. Lock you in for a year or two then price goes up. Price hikes have always been my pet peeve. No matter what you say or do they have refused to give any discount after the locked in low price expires. They would rather lose you as a customer, cancel your subscription and have you go somewhere else. So that's what I do. It's a PITA but that's the way it is. Then in less than a month, the former company is calling practically begging you to come back at a new lower supposedly fixed rate.
I also have an OTA (over the air) antenna that gets about 30-36 channels depending on time of day so I'm not completely without TV in between service changes. I like to watch about 1 dozen channels I can't get OTA so I'm constantly switching services.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #4  
Comes down to programming/channels you watch. A lot of the programs we watch can be seen on streaming services like Hulu etc. This guy seems to have the best info I've found.

Grounded Reason - Revolution Through Tech Evolution

The best services tend to be the ones that don't have contracts. Long contracts tend to equal poor service these days.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #5  
You basically have two options

1. Play their game. Switch every 2 years and always get that "new customer promo" rate. Lock it in for a year or two. When promo is up, switch to the other. Ride that 2 years and switch back.

2. Stay with one company and Pay their price. Occasionally call to see if they can throw you a bone and give you a little discount.

Direct TV and dish are like carbon copies of one another. Offer super low rates to get you in and under contract. Dish having rate lock for 2 years sounds nice assuming their contract length is 2 years or less as well. I know it used to be they would have 2 year contracts and only guarantee you that super low price for 12 months. Then after 12 months all bets were off and your bill would go up 40-50% on month 13. And cant cancel without hugh ETF's.

But to think that by switching you are getting away from the BS is a huge misconception.

If it werent for having to buy another dish and mounting it I would be all for playing their game and switching. Which given the cost of dishes and the ease of install I still may consider it because Direct TV has been jerking me around more than I like.

I've had Direct TV for 3 years now. Yet according to them I am still under contract and nothing I can do. I have a main receiver and 3 wireless mini genies. Main in the living room and the mini's in each of the 3 bedrooms. Well....I finished the basement and put up a projector TV and wanted another mini. Simple, another $7/month and same programming I have now right. NOT. Adding another TV resets contract. So stuck back under the 2-year umbrella for another year or so. No one told me or I never would have agreed. Too easy to just unplug a MINI upstairs and take to basement. I thought the convenience was only gonna cost me $7/month.....NOT being stuck back under contract, with no way out without alot of ETF's, and the worst part....I didnt even get the first year at a discount like a normal 2-year contracted customer. And worse....they keep raising the price of the xtra package. It was 84.99/mo full. Its now up to like $93/month and I cant go anywhere.

Switching to dish....sure would be great for a few years, but then I'd be in the same boat again likely paying stupid high prices. IF I could get TWC back in my area I'd do that in a heart beat. Had that for years at my old house. Faster internet than the slow crap DSL that century link offers, similar programming, and my bills for internet AND TV were in the $120 range vs the $190ish I am paying now.

Sure, every year they raised rates. A simple phone call and they "found" me another promotion to get my bill back down. But over 7-8 years there was never a time they couldnt get my bill to something I was happy with. Cant say the same for direct TV.

When my contract is finally up, I may price a Dish network dish. Cause whatever I have I need 2 dishes. A little gaming of the "system" but not really. My shop, located on MY property same as my house, is more than the ~200' away that they can carry a signal via coax. So the only way to get TV at my shop is with a second dish. And its crazy that direct TV and dish both want to treat that as a separate account, separate bill, lots of money, etc. Vs the simple ~$15/month to add another TV. IT would be more like $110 for the same programming I have at the house.

So a second dish mounted on garage that I installed and Told them I wanted a second HD main receiver tied to the same account for when I go camping. I guess technically I camp out at the shop alot :laughing:

Sorry for going off on my personal rant.

IMO, dont be afraid to switch back and forth to always get that promo "new customer rates". Just understand there will still be the same BS with either company.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network
That is the enticing part of Dish Network now. 2 year contract and locked price for 2 years with auto pay. I very well may be switching to Dish. Direct TV has just irritated me too much and for too long. I install broadband for a living for a Company that was mentioned and do all of the fiber to the home installs. We now have price for life with no contracts. That is the best deal going right now for 100 mbs.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #7  
They are essentially the same. In fairness to both, they are hostages of their content providers (e.g. I think ESPN gets $7/mo for what has become a total waste of money). The ultimate winner will be the first one to offer true "ala-carte" but so many of the providers insist on "bundling" so to get one channel you have to pay for 6 that you will never watch.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #8  
After 10 years I'm about fed up with Direct TV and their tactics. Now owned by AT&T. Thinking about switching to Dish Network, 2 year price lock and no more BS hopefully. Thoughts??

I've been with DirecTV longer than that and like everything about them except their never ending annual price yikes. Agree that AT&T sucks. Don't know much about Dish Network except they were fined $280 million by FTC for robo call violations ... for me that's a deal breaker re switching! :thumbdown:

FTC and DOJ Case Results in Historic Decision Awarding $28 Million in Civil Penalties against Dish Network and Strong Injunctive Relief for Do Not Call Violations | Federal Trade Commission

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network
Never knew about the Robo Call violations but that wont sway my decision one way or the other. They never called me.

/ Direct TV vs Dish Network #10  
Switching will feel good for awhile maybe, but then it will feel like you want to switch back. ........Dish does seem to be cheaper for the same content, at least my plan is. And I have every channel offered package, including all the movie channels. It runs me $187 a month for HD, DVR, hopper, super Joey, and 2 extra joeys. So service to 4 tvs.

........I've had both.. currently have Dish. If I didn't still have the taste of vomit in my mouth from dealing with Directv, I would switch back away from Dish.
....Dish customer service can be about as pleasant as stepping in dog poo, and getting it all over your shoe. Directv service was for me, less pleasant than stepping in dog poo without shoes on, and having it squeeze up between your toes.
..But since we have no real internet option where we live, and I have 2 teenagers at home I guess we are living with poo on our shoes.