Timber Frame Build - Round 2

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #21  
Mainly just because I likes the look of the DF in our home so much. Plus it will give the ceiling some contrast to the timbers. It will be minimal load bearing. Same folks as we used for the house. I'm not sure John was real excited about raising inside an existing structure but I didn't have to beg too much. He did tell me if we hadn't already done a home with them he probably would have declined. Lol.

Yep I can't imagine John would be excited about raising inside an the crane will be of little assistance - but they build the bents inside and fit everything so can't be too different - maybe they should just cut the joints in your building and fit it together once!

I too like the DF look for the timbers - especially the large posts but have been using some white pine recently for some furniture and like that look - found a place in Ozark, MO that had good prices on rough cut (kiln dried) and t&g boards - agree the contrast is nice.

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2
His initial response was that it couldn't be done and if it could the roof had to come off. After sending him my profile drawing and explaining we would do attic space so that we didn't have to go tight to the existing envelope it was a much easier sell. I think the plan is to stand the two lower 10' sections first then raise the center.

We had our first outdoor wedding in the new patio area yesterday. I still have stone columns, power, sound, and lighting to do but its usable now. I'll try to get a few more pics uploaded to get that portion up to speed.

Jeremy

Here are pics of the finished patio area. We have enough room for an 8' isle down the center and roughly 280-300 chairs. I'm uploading pics now from this Saturday. I finished installing the wedding pergola on Friday and had our first wedding in this area Saturday. The bride had planned to setup in the grass for her wedding. She had no idea we were building this area as it wasn't planned when they booked the venue last year so they were pretty pleased to be able to use it. I think we ended up with right at or just over 3,000 sq/ft of paver installation.

Patio10_01

Patio9_01

Patio8_01

This set of pics gets me caught up to where things stand at the moment. I'm hoping to start digging footings this week for stone columns and trenching for electrical. Looks like I may be making a trip to Oklahoma tomorrow to look at some stone veneer for the columns. My source I used on the home build dried up so now I'm in need of something that will tie in well with the patio.

2017-08-21_09-26-59

20170819_155841

20170819_160150

This pic gives a good idea of the scale of the patio. They had 120 chairs setup for Saturday's wedding. Right now we are using the current metal chairs we have for our reception hall. I've got new white folding chairs coming for the remodel.

2017-08-21_09-27-39

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #25  
Really first class planning and building!!

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #26  
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! I really like those pavers and how you created a walk way with them.

Really first class planning and building!!

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! I really like those pavers and how you created a walk way with them.

Thanks guys. I would like to build a two post timber structure for the start of the walkway where the bride would start down the isle. Not sure how to anchor it though. I'd like to do it in doug fir to match the pergola and ground rot wouldn't take long if I buried the posts. I'm thinking some type of steel sleeve for them to sit in that would mount to a concrete footing. I could then powder coat it black. Any thoughts?

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #28  
Thanks guys. I would like to build a two post timber structure for the start of the walkway where the bride would start down the isle. Not sure how to anchor it though. I'd like to do it in doug fir to match the pergola and ground rot wouldn't take long if I buried the posts. I'm thinking some type of steel sleeve for them to sit in that would mount to a concrete footing. I could then powder coat it black. Any thoughts?

First off this area looks awesome! Do you have venue contact info? My niece does wedding pics/planning and was actually looking for a venue in the KC area recently - her comment was there was not many she could find - anyway you are well on your way to a "class A" venue!

As for your question above my initial thought was why not stick to a 4 post arbor?
Seems it would be much more stable and the foundation while still required is primarily to support it and not to also keep it standing against wind or other loading. If you stick with two post it will need to be similar to lamp post foundation with long bolts embedded in concrete with some sort of "sleeve" as you mentioned - assuming you are using 8" x 8" (or larger?) you may need to fabricate these yourself - be sure you allow for draining of any water.

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #29  
I think Simpson makes a post standoff that is already powder coated. Might try a Google search.
I did a six post pergola last year and used 8x8 cedar. I used a galvanized mount with J bolts in concrete. Trimmed the base with a 2x8 to cover the steel. On vacation so don't have pictures.

We are in St Joseph MO about 45 min north of the KC airport. timbercreekeventcenter.com. We have some info up on fb as well. Timber Creek Event Center - Home | Facebook One nice thing about the remodel is the home on the upstairs of the building will be included for a bridal and overnigjt suite. It's 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2100 sq/ft. Should make for a nice selling point.

As to the arbor the simple answer on why a 2 post is I want something basic and not overwhelming. Plus I already have three 8ラ10x10 doug fir posts from the home build that I could use if I did it myself.