Timber Frame Build - Round 2

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
A little over 5 years ago (man time is really moving along) I started a thread on my timber frame home build.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/271133-timber-frame-hybrid-home-owner.html?highlight=tmber+frame

Now it's time to start our next major project and thought I would try to share as I did with the last one. As some of you who followed my home build saw my main business is pyrotechnics. What I didn't mention was that part of our building for our pyro business is also used as a rental hall for parties and wedding receptions. The home build got my wheels turning about opening another rental facility as a high end timber frame venue. What I quickly realized is that things were going to be much more expensive than I was comfortable with and we already had the perfect location and building for what we wanted to do. Instead of a brand new facility we have decided to remodel ours.

This project should be interesting in that we are doing things a bit backwards. Typically you would stand the timber frame then enclose it with sips or traditional framing. Since we are remodeling an existing building we are going to timber frame an already enclosed envelope. Another part of our remodel will be building an outdoor wedding area for wedding ceremonies. Construction of our outdoor area has already begun. Pics and updates to come shortly to bring everyone up to speed. Our remodel of our current facility and transformation into a timber frame venue will start after our last scheduled wedding reception on November 11th.

Jeremy

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #2  
Now this is something I'm looking forward to following!!!!

Are you going to use real, solid timbers or make something that looks like it instead?

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2
It will be real timbers just like the home build.

Jeremy

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #4  
How many people will you be able to hold and how are you dealing with parking? Is the road paved to get there?

I'm still moving dirt and removing trees for my wedding event center. I'm in no rush and only work on it when I'm too broke to do other things, or just get the urge to abuse myself on the dozer.

How many people will you be able to hold and how are you dealing with parking? Is the road paved to get there?

I'm still moving dirt and removing trees for my wedding event center. I'm in no rush and only work on it when I'm too broke to do other things, or just get the urge to abuse myself on the dozer.

I have used part of the building as a shop and the other half as a rental hall for the past 15 years so we already have the parking lot in place. The open floor space for the current hall and future timber remodel is 5,000 square feet not including restrooms or kitchen area. 50' x 100'. We can seat 300 and still have enough room for a decent dance floor. The timber frame remodel will fill this footprint. Pictures later tonight hopefully to start adding some details.

Jeremy

Here's a view of the current building and land along with a couple of inside pics. The drop ceiling will be stripped out. Walls will be stripped and redone as well.

20170508_142358

Kovac's Hall 1

Kovac's Hall 2

/ Timber Frame Build - Round 2 #8  
Looks like a well thought out design. But what I really love is your parking lot!!!! That's not cheap, or easy.

Are you going to go with tongue and groove wood for the ceiling right above the timbers? Basically lowering ceiling height to ten feet with a flat ceiling on the sides? This was my original plan for my building, but I hated the idea of having the posts there. Will you lose any seating because of the posts?

White pine T&G for the ceilings. There will only be a total of 6 posts in open areas. The rest all sit against a wall so shouldn't be an issue. I think they will actually add to the decor. We plan to put outlets in the ceiling on switches next to all posts so that they can be wrapped with lights and turned on/off for decor. We will have 10' ceilings on each side with a peak to 19' down the center. The attic space makes it possible to timber frame from the inside up without having to worry about getting tight to the original structure. It will help with flexibility as well for lighting, sound, etc and any changes down the road.

Work on our outdoor area is well under way. I'll get some posts started on it shortly.

Jeremy

Here's a pic of the area for the outdoor wedding patio we are building. Lots of tall walnut trees to frame the setting. Only downside is they are walnut trees. Going to have to deal with staining from them.

Outdoor Area 1

Jeremy