Mice got in my new F450! Help!

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #21  
No one in the industry ever thought that insulating car wiring with mouse food could cause a problem.

'They love it': Rodents target eco-friendly wiring insulation in vehicles | CTV News | Autos

Automakers including Toyota, Honda and Subaru have turned to an eco-friendly, soy-based type of insulation coating in their vehicles that has attracted the attention and tastes of rodents such as rats, mice and squirrels. The rodents have been chewing the apparently delicious insulation and exposing the bare wires, resulting in expensive repairs for the vehicle's owners.

Toyota used soy-based wiring in its cars, now rodents are literally tearing them apart – BGR

You see, Toyota's been using some fancy new wires that are great for the environment. In fact, they're so nature-friendly, they're actually mouse food.

-----------

I would bet those aren't the only companies using soy-insulated wiring.

Bruce

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help!
Service manager at the local Ford dealership said the wires are coated in a sesame seed oil based plastic, and that some rodents find it tasty when there is nothing else to eat.

Oh, that's just great I said.

~Moses

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #23  
Rodents don't like the liquid black electrical tape. Of course using that hides all the color coding of the wires. And if you miss one spot, the rodents will likely find it.

I have a significant problem with pack rats eating my tractor, a JD 990, if I leave it out. I used to put down 1 to 2 lbs of Just One Bite every week but they still got to it. It took them three years to disable the tractor but they did it. After that, I bought a "used once" shipping container" and haven't had a problem since. Unfortunately, those are too small for most vehicles. Good luck

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #24  
We had mouse problems in my wife's 2012 Acura MDX. I found a mouse nest right up against the pollen filter in the HVAC system, which on that vehicle was behind the glovebox. The mouse made a nest there and had chewed a hole through the filter (which is just a paper material).

I removed the wiper arms and cowling cover at the base of the windshield to get at the fresh air intake -- which was a giant 3"x6" opening. I drilled some small holes around the edge and zip tied some 1/4" wire mesh over the opening. Problem solved.

Then a couple years later, we noticed signs of a mouse again. This time they were getting in somewhere else, but I never did find where. After a ski trip into the mountains, the problem went away. We figure the mice had gotten used to living in a garaged car at our home, and decided to abandon the car when it was parked outdoors in super cold weather for 4-5 days.

My wife got a new car (Honda Pilot) this spring, and I am thinking I probably need to mouse-proof the fresh air intake on that before we have problems this winter. On the MDX, the cowling cover openings had a grill that would have kept out mice, but the underside of the cowling cover was open to the engine bay in several places and offered an easy path for mice or insects. Not a real smart design. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same issue on the Honda, since the vehicles are on the same platform.

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #25  
Sorry about your truck. I have not had them inside that I know of, but they built a nest under the engine cover on top of the engine and chewed through the main wiring harness. Of course I had no idea that it was there until I had an intermittent problem coming home from camping. Next day had a hard stabilitrac error, figured it was raccoons that damaged the wires to the wheel sensors (we had raccoons get into stuff camping that week). I did not find any damage to wheel sensor wires and noticed they went into main harness under the engine cover. Removed cover, found large nest, damaged wires. I repaired wiring after cleaning out nest, reset codes, all good for now. I just bought some special tape to deter mice eating the wiring... it is expensive but I plan on using it on the harness under the engine cover in both my GMC truck and wife's Tahoe. We have two cats now, one stays outside full time with an occasional nap inside. The other we just got and he is out during the day, have not left him out a t night yet, but plan on it soon.

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #26  
Mice chewed the wiring in my GMC in 2002. Truck wouldn't run, I had to get a flatbed tow truck up here to haul it in to the dealer and it cost a bundle to fix.

The best defense against mice that I have found is to drive the vehicle to work once a week. Parking on pavement away from vegetation or cover helps too.

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #27  
Shoulda got the Cat motor in it. :rolleyes: Otherwise a bucket 1/2 of water with sprinkled sunflower seeds. Gets chipmunks, too.

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #28  
If you have friends with a cat that uses a litter box, ask them to save used litter. Spread it where you park - the scent will repel mice.

/ Mice got in my new F450! Help! #29  
Parking on pavement away from vegetation or cover helps too.

Of course, if you live in the mtns, as I do also, getting away from that pesky vegetation is tough.

A few weeks ago, rats took out the fuel filter on my Suzuki Samurai. It is the low-pressure kind
for carbureted cars, made of clear plastic. Soybean-based, maybe?

Also this month I have had rats and mice climbing the stucco on the house to chew holes in the
screen. They almost got in. I saw a huge one, at 3AM, doing its nasty business.

My only sure solution is to park vehicles indoors. But my tractor and quads, no space.