Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
I'm have a truck load of 53's/crusher runs, laid today. I filled in the holes and ruts first so I start with a reasonably flat drive. But normally it's nice to "touch it up" before it's all packed in. If you do to much grading, the bigger rock ends up on top. Racking is the worst.

I'm planning on trying dragging a 4 " angle iron pc like a mini grader blade with maybe a concrete block at each end as weight.

Any other suggestions that will not separate the big stone from the dust/chips?

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #2  
I added 25 yards of crusher run to my driveway a few months ago. I spread most of it as I drove and raised the dump trailer. Did some back dragging with the loader and final leveling was done with a 6' rake on the 3 pt.
If you are getting it delivered, most drivers will spread as they dump for you leaving you only to do finish leveling.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #3  
An old school trick is to drag a couple of railroad ties behind your tractor with a chain.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #4  
Dragging a long, heavy thing crossways smooths the road, fills holes, and spreads small piles, but does little for lengthways dips and bumps.

Bruce

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive.
This will be spread by the truck. But the "ribbon" of gravel quality can really vary depending how clumpy it is. Hopefully is is prefect and I won't have to do anything. Some times I grade afterwords and I wished I hadn't!

I'm on a hill so I need the gravel totally mixed, not all the marbles on top. My wife and I can drive up our drive without spinning the tires, but many guests think power is the trick and spin the way to the top.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #6  
An old set of bed springs, a couple railroad ties chained together, a chunk of pipe tied across your ATV with a couple log chains attached to the pipe and held together - dragging behind the ATV. A LPGS if the blades can be set ABOVE the side boards.

You definitely have the correct idea - gentile dragging that simply smoothes the top and does not remix what has been laid down.

I have a mile long gravel driveway. Back in '82 when it was built - I kept it level and smooth as a pool table. After enduring the dust, etc from my guests driving down the driveway @ 35-45 mph - I've let numerous "speed bumps" develop. Its truly amazing - speed signs do nothing - speed bumps are the absolute cure all. Great clouds of dust are a thing of the distant past.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #7  
How long is your drive? If it's long enough to justify the purchase a landplane for your tractor is the way to go both for new gravel and long term maintenance.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #8  
I've always heard that it's best to "leave it as laid" through the first frost cycle then deal with it.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #9  
I always use my box blade with the top link extended so that the front cutter is up off the ground and the rear cutter is feathered. Does a nice job "smearing" out the gravel without moving it or churning it up.

/ Smoothing a freshly laid gravel drive. #10  
Grading scraper and landscape rake.