How to locate outlet starting from breaker panel?

/ How to locate outlet starting from breaker panel? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi All,

I have a breaker labeled "Exerciser" that is in a breaker panel that has no empty slots left in it. I'm pretty sure I can pull that wire out of the panel and pull a new wire in its place.

However, before doing that I would like to know what outlet I would be disabling.

I see there are devices that you can plug into an outlet and then go to the breaker panel and detect what breaker that outlet is on. In my case, I want to do the opposite and start at the breaker and then walk around the house checking outlets to see if I can find the outlet.

I don't see any tool that will transmit from the breaker to a receiver held near an outlet.

Anyone got any suggestions?

/ How to locate outlet starting from breaker panel? #3  
a lamp or fan plugged into outlet and then switch off breakers till you find it. However most outlets in a room are ran in a series so you don't have just one wire most likely

/ How to locate outlet starting from breaker panel?
Hmmmm I just had a thought. I have a tone generator for tracing phone lines. If I disconnect the hot lead from the breaker so that there is no live power on the line I could probably hook the tone generator to it and then walk around the house with the receiver. Never mind!

coldsteevla,

You must have replied while I was typing my posting about my idea on the tone generator! Thanks for the help!

/ How to locate outlet starting from breaker panel? #6  
Sounds like someone maybe had an "Exerciser" machine maybe treadmill or the likes maybe find a room that this could have been and shut the breaker off test outlets for a dead one??

/ How to locate outlet starting from breaker panel? #7  
A phone tone generator can be used but disconnect the hot and neutral and put the toner on the white and black wires. Don't leave the neutral hooked up

B75,

Yes, there are only so many rooms that a person might have an exercise machine and I'll check those first. I found my tone generator and put new batteries in it. I think it should work. I didn't think about disconnecting the hot lead from the breaker and then using the tone generator! I was thinking about to trace a hot line. Funny how suddenly an obvious solution comes to you when you ponder on it for a while!

Why are you pulling the wire out? There is no reason.

I don't leave disconnected and capped wires in a breaker panel. If its not going to be used there is no reason for it to be in the panel. I pull them out of the panel, print a label and label the wire describing what it was for and then I push the wire up into the joist cavity and out of the way. If someone ever wants to use it later they can run it back into the panel.

Also, I can then use the freed up romex clamp for my new wire. (yes I know you can have more then one wire in those)

Just personal preference.