Outside/Attic Antenna

/ Outside/Attic Antenna #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
Looking for a decent outside/attic mount antenna. I'm about 50 miles from K.C. Local Towers.

/ Outside/Attic Antenna #2  
Don't fall for any of those cheap 150 mile specials. You need to determine what stations are available to you, the direction, signal level and what actual channels they are on. TVfool.com will give you good info. For good TV reception, height above ground is your best friend. As to a good antenna, Winegard HD7697P or HD7698P are good units and probably the size you'll need, assuming that you don't have any actual VHF-Low channels to deal with.

Outside is best. In the attic does work for some people, but attenuation can reduce signal levels. The stations are all, as mentioned, in the UHF band, which will exhibit a higher attenuation than VHF. The type and location of the building's materials have the biggest influence.

paul

/ Outside/Attic Antenna #3  
For good TV reception, height above ground is your best friend.

this is the #1 factor, aside from the proper antenna for the band the channels are in pointed correctly. A GOOD yagi like a Winegard up high and accurately pointed will work. If you are looking for multiple city reception you may need a rotator - where my country property is I have stations in 4 different directions where 'one size fits all' doesn't apply!

frequently, I fix issues for others by simply raising the antenna 10' or 20' - it's amazing what that can do for signal quality. Where you are at an attic antenna will be dissapointing

/ Outside/Attic Antenna #5  
I tried the attic routine and didn't have a lot of luck with it. I am not as far from towers as you are but lots of trees between me and the towers. I went with a two panel, 8 bow tie antenna above my rooftop with a rotater. Works pretty good but still get flaky in stormy weather.

Don't watch a lot of TV anyway. Mostly streaming media for entertainment. We go through 75-80 gigs per month.

/ Outside/Attic Antenna #6  
I bought an antenna from Walmart online for $38.00 including shipping!
It has remote control and rotates. I mounted it on roof peak.
I pick up 36 over air channels! Some are duplicates, biggest city is 65 miles away.
Land here is flat.

/ Outside/Attic Antenna #7  
I have had a rotary antenna for 30 yrs. I hate the cost of cable and satellite, as well as the satellite people came to my place and said "These trees have to go." NOT GONNA HAPPEN. When the wind blows hard and with the trees, the digital of over the air signal sometimes gets disrupted, but for free, I'll live with it. I'm about 40 miles from Boston and signals are good, but I can get dozens of stations out to Worcester, north into Maine and even some from Rhode Island. I don't watch a lot of TV, but like my local news and a few sitcoms. PBS has a lot of good Nature shows and science shows.