Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so...

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #1  

GrumpyJoe

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533 HST w/ FEL
Already built one last year but I like this one better. Start with a pallet and built some sides with wire mesh. Put some wheels on to move easy. Made a ramp to get in and out of the basement. Just use my tractor with pallet forks to get from the wood shed to the house. Now I can load of enough wood to last about a week.

IMG_20170903_121528 (1).jpg

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #2  
Can't you just prop those doors open and reach in with the FEL and dump a load of wood on the floor?

:laughing:

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so...
Oddly enough I did that about 2 winters ago. Until the wife came running down the steps screaming to get that SOB out of here. She said I was stinkin up the house with the exhaust. Yea, you dont want to piss mama off.

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #5  
I still bring wood in an armload at a time, whatever I put straight into the wood stove. Mainly to prevent bringing too many insects in.

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #6  
I still bring wood in an armload at a time, whatever I put straight into the wood stove. Mainly to prevent bringing too many insects in.

Me too. Insects are bad but mice are horrible. I used to put pallet loads of firewood under the pack porch over hang. Problem was that mice were in the firewood and they ended up climbing up the exterior wall and found this itty, bitty, wee, little hole where the coax cable went into the attic. :shocked: When it got cold, you could hear the little $%^&*()%^&*() digging into the ceiling drywall in the attic. :mad::mad::mad: I had to put poison in the attic. :mad::mad::mad: What was worse, is that they would then sit on the back porch step, I assume to smell the dog food and get to the warmth leaking from the door, and when we would open the door, into the house they would go. :mad::mad::mad:

It took weeks to kill them all. Every towel, sheet, and blanket in the closet had to be washed because they peed and pooped all over the place. :mad::mad::mad:

They "stored" dog food in the washer and dryer. :mad::mad::mad: Even though I spent quite a bit of time with a vacuum cleaner trying to get all of the dog food I could not get it all out. When the clothes washer finally died and I took it to the dump, you could here all of the dog food rattling around in the washer. :eek::rolleyes:

I don't store wood on the back porch anymore unless it is a small supply I have loaded into the wheel barrow.

No more pallets of wood near the house for us. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #7  
Me too. Insects are bad but mice are horrible. I used to put pallet loads of firewood under the pack porch over hang. Problem was that mice were in the firewood and they ended up climbing up the exterior wall and found this itty, bitty, wee, little hole where the coax cable went into the attic. :shocked: When it got cold, you could hear the little $%^&*()%^&*() digging into the ceiling drywall in the attic. :mad::mad::mad: I had to put poison in the attic. :mad::mad::mad: What was worse, is that they would then sit on the back porch step, I assume to smell the dog food and get to the warmth leaking from the door, and when we would open the door, into the house they would go. :mad::mad::mad:

It took weeks to kill them all. Every towel, sheet, and blanket in the closet had to be washed because they peed and pooped all over the place. :mad::mad::mad:

They "stored" dog food in the washer and dryer. :mad::mad::mad: Even though I spent quite a bit of time with a vacuum cleaner trying to get all of the dog food I could not get it all out. When the clothes washer finally died and I took it to the dump, you could here all of the dog food rattling around in the washer. :eek::rolleyes:

I don't store wood on the back porch anymore unless it is a small supply I have loaded into the wheel barrow.

No more pallets of wood near the house for us. :D

Later,
Dan

Good Morning Dan,
Darn good story, almost spit some coffee out on that one ! I can relate to all of that ! Mice are the WORST !
I have a shed about 30 ft or so from the back door of the house, hopefully far enough away ! Have a storage ring to the right of the stove, and I usually just load my LL Bean canvas wood carrier to get a couple loads of wood and keep the ring full. If its raining or snowing I can make it to the next day ! :)

Last edited:
   / Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #8  
.... I usually just my LL Bean canvas wood carrier to get a couple loads of wood and keep the ring full. If its raining or snowing I can make it to the next day ! :)

I REALLY hate mice. I worked so hard when the house was being designed and built to minimize ways for the mice to get into the house but the little $%^&*()_%^&*() still found a way into the house. :mad::mad::mad:

We use five gallon buckets to bring firewood into the house and store it in front of the stove is rather ugly but it works. Depending on wood quality a five gallon bucket has enough wood to burn for 4-6 hours in our stove.

The buckets contain quite a bit of the mess and any bugs in the wood usually stay in the buckets. I want to build a big box to hold the buckets and allow for easier sitting in front of the stove... Been trying to build that box for a decade or so now. :rolleyes::eek:

Later,
Dan

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #9  
Hmmmm - 35+ years and never had a single mouse in the house. When we burned wood, now 100% electric, transported by wheel barrow and had one of those big double pipe hoops for inside storage. After using firewood for 20+ years finally went to electric heat. Too many bugs, too much bark, too much dirt, no weekly ash removal, no annual stove pipe scrub down. I still miss the sound and smell of pine burning.

/ Tired of carrying wood one armload at a time so... #10  
I put my firewood in 28 gallon rubbermaid bins and use a Harbor Freight dolly to haul 3 of them stacked on top of each other into the house. The bins contain the mess and keep the family room much cleaner. 3 bins will last me 2 days, so I do the wood run to the barn every other day.