Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Was doing some ethernet wiring in my basement and managed to step off a ladder onto the 1" PVC line from our well pump to our pressure tank. Sheered clean off. Water spraying everywhere, including on the breaker panel. I'm still here, but I could have easily gotten myself a 220V ticket to the great hereafter.

After I got the water cleaned up and the PVC repaired, the next thing I did was build a 2x4 kick plate to completely surround the exposed pipes at the base of the pressure tank.

It never occurred to me before, but there is no remote switch for the pump. Just the breaker box, which is uncomfortably close to the pressure tank (less than 8 feet). I got online and started to look at 30 amp switches I could wire inline. While researching, came across some interesting products that work as an automatic switch, with a leak detector. Basically, you put the detector electrical box inline with the 220v power feed to the pump, the same way you would with a switch. The hockey puck leak detector is wired to the box and sits on the floor near the tank. If it senses water on the floor, the detector box cuts the power to the pump.

Wondering if anyone here has implemented something like this, and in general, any other comments about how to make this setup safer.

Last edited:
   / Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #2  
Hmm, Never thought of such consequences. The house panel is right next to the well-trol and pump line.

But all the piping is copper, except the filters (plastic) .

The leak switch? The well-trol sweats in summer, that's not going to work. ;-)

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump
Obviously, from a wiring cost perspective, it makes sense to have the thank and pump switch near the panel. From a safety standpoint? Not so much.

My basement is normally very dry, so I don't have the thank sweat problem you describe.

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #4  
Sounds like a good idea. My newish pump controller has a sensor built in that shuts off the pump if it detects too much water flowing suddenly. But your setup would be a step up from that.
I have an alarm that uses the same concept on a different property. The puck is pretty simple. Moisture conducts between the contacts and bam the alarm goes off- or in your case shuts the well pump off.
This by design is awesome. My fear would be a false trip (someone spills some water etc) and the inability to get power back to the well without rewiring or running a hair dryer over the puck. Either is fine if you are there but it could leave the family scratching their head if you weren't around. Is that reason enough to not buy the device- no way! Just a point about the ramifications of such device.

As a side note I shut the power to my well off when I leave for more than a few days. I've seen and heard of breaks leading to devastation. Your proposed devise- located in the basement- would hopefully prevent too much damage if something broke upstairs while you were away.

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump
This is actually a vacation home that is about to become our permanent residence. We normally turn off the valve on the pressure side of the tank when we leave, to protect against flooding. This is the first time anything has ever happened on the pump feed side, and it opened my eyes to the potential for damage.

Whatever I do will be well documented and family members trained on dealing with it. But it has to be a safe setup. Don't want my wife in the situation I was in, trying to deal with breaker panel while water is spraying everywhere.

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #6  
Was doing some ethernet wiring in my basement and managed to step off a ladder onto the 1" PVC line from our well pump to our pressure tank. Sheered clean off. Water spraying everywhere, including on the breaker panel. I'm still here, but I could have easily gotten myself a 220V ticket to the great hereafter.

After I got the water cleaned up and the PVC repaired, the next thing I did was build a 2x4 kick plate to completely surround the exposed pipes at the base of the pressure tank.

It never occurred to me before, but there is no remote switch for the pump. Just the breaker box, which is uncomfortably close to the pressure tank (less than 8 feet). I got online and started to look at 30 amp switches I could wire inline. While researching, came across some interesting products that work as an automatic switch, with a leak detector. Basically, you put the detector electrical box inline with the 220v power feed to the pump, the same way you would with a switch. The hockey puck leak detector is wired to the box and sits on the floor near the tank. If it senses water on the floor, the detector box cuts the power to the pump.

Wondering if anyone here has implemented something like this, and in general, any other comments about how to make this setup safer.

Proteus Aquo - Wi-Fi Water Sensor for your basement

Here is an outfit that reviewed even more units...:)
The Best Smart Leak Detector | The Wirecutter

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #7  
Replumb it in copper. It won't shatter like PVC. Problem solved, methinks, and copper isn't that hard to do for this. There are even pre-made manifolds that have all the fittings already tapped in.

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #8  
depending on how your system is plumbed pressure switches are available with low pressure cutouts that will shut off on low pressure.
Square D FSG2J21M4CP 30/50 PSI Standard Pressure Switch with Low Pressure Cutoff

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #9  
Electrical requires a local disconnect as close as possible to the pump.

/ Almost bought the farm: Need info on flood detection/power interrupt for well pump #10  
Sounds like a good idea. My newish pump controller has a sensor built in that shuts off the pump if it detects too much water flowing suddenly. But your setup would be a step up from that.
I have an alarm that uses the same concept on a different property. The puck is pretty simple. Moisture conducts between the contacts and bam the alarm goes off- or in your case shuts the well pump off.
This by design is awesome. My fear would be a false trip (someone spills some water etc) and the inability to get power back to the well without rewiring or running a hair dryer over the puck. Either is fine if you are there but it could leave the family scratching their head if you weren't around. Is that reason enough to not buy the device- no way! Just a point about the ramifications of such device.

As a side note I shut the power to my well off when I leave for more than a few days. I've seen and heard of breaks leading to devastation. Your proposed devise- located in the basement- would hopefully prevent too much damage if something broke upstairs while you were away.

It shouild be possible to wire around the puck with a switch to cut the puck ouit of the circuit in such case until it dries out.