Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
Buddy flies airplanes so he brought me five gallons of 100 octane low lead gas with no ethanol. Guy at work says that it's to hot to run in my chain saw. Anyone know anything about this? I figured it would run just fine, but now I don't know and don't want to hurt my saw. Could mix with the recreational no ethanol gas that I'm running now I suppose. I mixed in some Sta-Bil so I'm hoping it will keep for the wood cutting coming up this winter.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #2  
Octane is the number given in reference to "resistance to burning". The racers need higher octane to prevent pre-detonation, pre ignition or pinging. The race engines have higher compression and regular fuel won't cut it.

It will be fine to use. If anything you could mix some regular unleaded in if you needed to lower the octane.

Btw- your friend's reference to it being too hot- the energy or hotness would be referenced by BTUs.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #3  
That's very high octane, and will run just fine in your chainsaw, with the caveat that lead will cause cylinder head deposits, so you may have to take the engine apart and clean up the head once a year. You can't pour it into your car or pickup next year either, because the lead will poison the catalytic converter. The best choice for 2-cycle engines is the ethanol free unleaded premium you can buy at marinas or rural service stations.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #4  
More useless trivia- the lead was added to increase octane.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #5  
I wouldn't use it, your carb settings would need to be adjusted. I run non ethanol 91 octane ALL of the time in my small engines, I had to adjust the factory settings because they are set to 87 ethanol settings.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #6  
It's good stuff, I'd probably blend it 50-50 with pump gas.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #7  
I've never once EVER used anything but straight pump gas 87 oct with 10% ethanol and never once had a fuel related carb issue in ANY of my two cycle equip. or ZTR mowers.

That being said, I mow grass and brush year round. So none of my equipment ever sits for very long.

I am a stickler for fuel stabilization additives and clean carbs on all my stuff.

My neighbors and friends, on the other hand...:duh:

I spend an awful lot of time cleaning other people's carbs, though.

It's just tough saying NO, at times.

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #8  
Buddy flies airplanes so he brought me five gallons of 100 octane low lead gas with no ethanol. Guy at work says that it's to hot to run in my chain saw. Anyone know anything about this? I figured it would run just fine, but now I don't know and don't want to hurt my saw. Could mix with the recreational no ethanol gas that I'm running now I suppose. I mixed in some Sta-Bil so I'm hoping it will keep for the wood cutting coming up this winter.

Don't use it in your saw. I use Stihl MotoMix. It's expensive but has the proper octane and oil already mixed in, no Sta-Bil needed. All I have to do is pour it in the saw, no fuss, no mess, no hassle and the saw loves the stuff.

Premixed Ethanol-Free Fuel for Outdoor Power Equipment | STIHL USA

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #9  
At first I was going to agree with RNeumann but though itt better to say DON"T USE IT,bring it by my house so I can use it in mine.:biggrin:

/ Question for you chain saw and weed eater guys. #10  
At first I was going to agree with RNeumann but though itt better to say DON"T USE IT,bring it by my house so I can use it in mine.:biggrin:

Exactly! It's got tot be 100 bucks in fuel!!!