which portable generators do people have

/ which portable generators do people have #1  

747driver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
Shopping for a portable generator. Don't want to power whole house, just some basic necessities. I see where they make a dual fuel ( gas or propane ) generator. Since we have propane for heat there will always be a supply at the house. I was thinking the size range at between 5000 to 8000 would be sufficient. We have 24 acres so i will be using it also to go out on the property for projects.

Thanks

Chuck H

/ which portable generators do people have #2  
I bought a Coleman 8000 about 15 years ago and still use it today. I did power the house with it for years but have since gone to a whole house Generac. I made a sling for the Coleman and move it around the property with the tractor.

That said, there are many more choices today. Big box stores, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool all have good units. It is my opinion that it is not necessary to buy a big name brand if you just want an occasional use generator.

/ which portable generators do people have #3  
I have the Champion dual fuel 8000 running watt generator bought from costco.

Its heavy but has wheels and a handle to move. My entire house runs off propane so I always have a supply as well.

I had a big transfer switch wired in so the generator will run entire house if needed.

Its a great unit, and will run for 8 hours at 50% load on a tank of gas, and 5 hours at same load on a standard grill sized bottle of propane.

They are like $750 at costco

/ which portable generators do people have #4  
   / which portable generators do people have #5  
I bought a Briggs & Stratton 30664 - 8000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator a couple years ago; it will run my entire house. Last time the power went out, I ran it for 40 hrs straight with out any issues. Don't buy a Duromax, had to return 2 of them before I bought the B&S.

/ which portable generators do people have #6  
I'd be inclined to go with the Champion from Costco. Champion has a good reputation for parts availability and quality and Costco has the unbeatable, return it is you ever are unsatisfied policy. If money is no object, get a big Honda.

/ which portable generators do people have #7  
I have a 10kw from Miller, a Bobcat 250. I use it for arc welding mostly, but also power my Mig in the field. In a pinch, it can run my whole house. A bit thirsty on gas, but I can handle that easier than another machine.

/ which portable generators do people have #8  
My "portable" genset is a Honda inverter, we LOVE the thing!

SR

/ which portable generators do people have #9  
I have a Lifan 4k 110v inverter, love how quiet and efficient it is. My FIL has a duel fuel Champion in similar size. So loud but starts easily, no crappy gas issues.

/ which portable generators do people have #10  
I have a 6500 W Coleman, and it is great for emergency power, but it is LOUD. I would love to have a 2000w Generator/Inverter (Wen, Black & Becker, Westinghouse), or better yet two of those connected in parallel. They are quiet. Honda or Yamaha would be even better, but much more expensive.