Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
We've just begun grading for our new home on our rural property. It will be a 2000 square foot ranch on a daylight basement. It will be propane fueled for heat, hot water, and stove, with 200 amp electrical service for everything else. My plan has always been to have a generator available for backup power. It's time to start making some decisions about how that generator will be sized and fueled.

At the low end of the pricing spectrum, I could simply get a Harbor Freight 7000/8750 watt gas fired generator, rig a 30 amp connection box with a breaker panel lockout setup. In my current home, I have a 4000/5400 watt Generac that I run inside a Rubbermaid shed, with 12v marine fans powered by the generator for exhaust and intake air. Actually works very well and the generator runs cool. It has a great muffling effect. Go more than 75 feet away, and you can't tell there is a generator running. I would probably use the same shed for the HF generator.

Next step up would be the same HF generator, with a propane conversion kit, plumbed to the house propane tank, or with it's own propane tank.

The above two setups are nice in terms of being able to lock up the generator in the garage and wheel it out during extended outages, although at 200+ pounds, it's a beast to move around, even on wheels. If my wife had to do move it, I'm not sure she could. It could live permanently in the Rubbermaid shed, and I could chain it down to concrete, to prevent theft. The limitation is the 30 amps. Would have to power only essential circuits

Stepping up from there would be a whole home/standby type setup, with power levels and transfer automation priced to suit. Pricing anywhere from $2500 to $5000 for what we would need, not including the propane tank and hookup costs.

And that bring me to propane tank issues:

My original thought was to buy an oversized propane tank for the house. A 250 gallon tank is normal for single family dwellings with the heating requirements in our part of the country (north Georgia). A 500 gallon tank would certainly be a big step up. But that's an expensive upgrade, with a much bigger hole to dig. Alternatively, I could buy a second, smaller tank, maybe a 200lb. tank, which I can probably find used and dig/bury/install myself, right near the generator installation. While that might limit the generator to a couple of days run time, it would also be a hedge against running through the whole 500 gallon tank in case of a leak or other problem.

Lots of choices, which is a good thing. Of course I want to economize, but at the same time, I hope to be in this house for at least 20 years, so it's a small dollar per year issue.

Comments appreciated.

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #2  
An 8KW will burn about 1.7 gal/hr at full load. On average figure 50-60% of that for an average house load. Make sure you have the line and regulator sized for full load (about 155,000 BTU/hr).

paul

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #3  
We've got 2 x 1000g tanks, above ground. The house has a swimming pool with a propane heater, and the house is heated by propane (depending on our use of the wood stove).

We don't use the swimming pool any more (barely ever did - don't put one in is my advice, but swmbo...), and we fill up on propane once a year and typically get 700-800 gallons (ie, we end up swapping tanks each year). This gives us complete flexibility to try and get the lowest possible cost for propane in the year; we have a good relationship with a local supplier who notifies us when they think the pricing is best (and we keep an eye on prices as well, and we rarely miss out on more than a penny a gallon).

If you can afford it, get more storage than you think you'll need in a year. You'll save in the long run, and there's great peace of mind having extra.

(Don't get me started on people who own their place and rent a tank from Amerigas and get topped off each month and the highest possible prices.)

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #4  
(Don't get me started on people who own their place and rent a tank from Amerigas and get topped off each month and the highest possible prices.)

I won't get you started but the gas company topped mine off one year just as the corn dryers were sucking gas. For what should have cost 59 cents cost me 1.39. The next month gas was down back to 59.

Why bury the tank? Aesthetics?

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #5  
Good generators list their fuel consumption per hour at idle and load. Only you and the family can decide how much extra you need. Remember propane tanks are only good to about 80% rated capacity.
If you go the full automatic route you will need a means of disconnecting the auto start if you are away for several days.

We have a 1000 gal tank for our gen, water heater and stove.

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed
We're on a lake, so a swimming pool would be redundant. I have enough trouble keeping the boat clean. Keeping water clean, too? No thanks. :)

I very much want to own the tanks and buy propane from who I want.

Good generators list their fuel consumption per hour at idle and load. Only you and the family can decide how much extra you need. Remember propane tanks are only good to about 80% rated capacity.
If you go the full automatic route you will need a means of disconnecting the auto start if you are away for several days.

Good point. Easy enough to rig a battery disconnect terminal.

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #8  
We have ours on a secondary thermostat that would only turn it on if temp dropped below 40°f and the power was out. With a programmable thermostat it will do its weekly maintenance run too.

We have ours on a secondary thermostat that would only turn it on if temp dropped below 40°f and the power was out. With a programmable thermostat it will do its weekly maintenance run too.

Makes perfect sense for where you are. Freeze damage is a VERY remote possibility here.

/ Generator and propane tank sizing feedback needed #10  
We buried a 500 gallon tank. Would do it again tomorrow if needed. I think they tanks are ugly. When you bury it, you have to buy it. That has allowed me to get the best price by shopping around.

Our house is a little under 2800 sq ft. Single story with 30' roof height. Gas stove, instant water heater, furnace and pool/spa. We use around 200 gallons a year.

Brett