Gates, automating opening for exits

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #1  

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
Trying to decide what type of mechanism to use for triggering an automated gate for exiting the property. A sensor would seem like a convenient way to do this, but I wonder whether someone could hop my fence and trigger it. A keypad on the inside (for exiting) seems like a hassle (delivery folks would already have to punch on a keypad to get in), but if I'm on foot and I want to wander outside my gate this would be necessary as I wouldn't be able to trip a sensor with just my body.

Also, is anyone using X10 to operate their gate openers?

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #2  
Most the ones we have use an induction loop. A vehicle will open it. Then I've seen a hidden switch or keypad on the inside if you want to walk through. Otherwise walk around or climb over from the inside.

/ Gates, automating opening for exits
Yeah, it's sounding like I need to go with both.

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #4  
Neighbor uses a remote to open and close there gate. If long drive and expecting deliveries, a proximity sensor works good. Drive to a certain point, then the gate opens automatically. The trick is, when setting up a proximity sensor, don't install the sensor too close to the gate. Too close and someone can creep up to the gate on the other side and trip it.

Used to enter my daughters apartment complex that way by creeping up to the exit gate :D

Yeah, I'd be back a ways. Still worries me a bit as someone could toss a chunk of metal over the gate and get it to open, or so I'd think.

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #6  
You are correct. We use our aluminum ladders with about a 75% success rake.

A sensor placed farther away would seem necessary. My issue is is that my gate opens to two paths around my circular drive. I'd have to have TWO sensors in order to have any significant setback distance.

I also tend to run my tractor through this area. I swear, seems nothing that I look to plan for is ever simple (I always have some really big twists).

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #8  
I need to do something on mine too. Thinking about just adding a second panel inside.

The gates themselves only keep the honest people out. The openers could be easily defeated to open them manually. I have little locks on the pins and braded the ends of all the bolts but at the end of the day you could drive a truck right through them.

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #9  
We use an "exit loop" (inductive) set back about 60-70ft from the gate. All regular users also have a garage door opener remote (Liftmaster receiver inside the gate controller box). But the remotes are almost NEVER used for exit. The loop just works too well. Then, there's a SMALL walkpath, about 2ft wide beside the gate for pedestrians. That combination has worked just perfect for us for many years now.

If anyone needs to get in or out around that, they can pull the pin out of the actuator arm! So far, that has only happened on the very few occasions when there has been some problem with the operator. I considered putting a small padlock on the pin, but I figured if I did, someone would wind up forcing the whole gate/operator open with resulting damage.

Many of the keypads can be used either wired or wireless. Ours (Millenium 950 - http://www.niceforyou.us/images/pdfs/45/950-951_keypad.pdf) is wireless. That just means it has another garage door opener transmitter board inside. So one of those inside would also be an option.

/ Gates, automating opening for exits #10  
Hello and Good evening,

Piggybacking on this thread, I hope you do not mind. We are also wanting to install and a gate, motorize it and automate it at our farm property which has a 200 ft driveway.

In addition to an actual gate, and I presume a motor - any suggestions on a brand - what other hardware do we need?

An intercom? Keypad to control the gate? etc.

Appreciate any advice on hardware and robust brands/models.

Thank you