Bifocals and Progressive Lenses

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
Well I needed a new pair of glasses and I think at 69 years old and using bifocals for most of my life that worked just fine, I shouldn't have taken a chance trying progressive lenses which I got today. Holding my head still and looking straight ahead far and near is OK, but in the periphery vision it's like looking through a fishbowl that shifts about if I move my head. Wife says I'll get used to it, but I'm doubtful and I don't believe I could drive safely with these. Anyone else have a similar experience with progressive lenses?

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #2  
Wait until you try to back a truck using mirrors.

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #3  
No I haven't-because I have never tried the progressives. Been wearing bifocals since the age of 8 have no trouble with them-I am afraid I would be like you and struggle with them.

Will

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #4  
I have been told that the quality of progressives varies a good bit. The good ones are great, the others just so so. All I have worn is the progressives the past decade. Nothing before. Looking straight ahead or nearly straight ahead is fine. Looking off to the side with the eyeballs is no joy.

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #5  
Well I needed a new pair of glasses and I think at 69 years old and using bifocals for most of my life that worked just fine, I shouldn't have taken a chance trying progressive lenses which I got today. Holding my head still and looking straight ahead far and near is OK, but in the periphery vision it's like looking through a fishbowl that shifts about if I move my head. Wife says I'll get used to it, but I'm doubtful and I don't believe I could drive safely with these. Anyone else have a similar experience with progressive lenses?

I have been using progressive lenses for about the last 12 years... Wouldn't get anything but. When I first got them, it was a challenge to get used to them because of exactly what you reported. I am "near sighted". ( can't see crap anymore without the glasses). I never used bifocals, when I finally had to get either bifocals or progressives, I started with them. My wife is "far sighted" and she started with bifocals. Last time we went for new glasses, she tried the progressives for about 3 weeks and then returned them for bifocals. She could not get used to them. I don't know if it was because she used bifocals first, or just plain couldn't tolerate them. I do get "the best" type of lenses, which have a larger peripheral field of view. The secret to using progressive is changing your habit... You DO need to turn your head, not just your eyes, to look left or right, keeping your vision in the "sweet spot". I drive an EMS paramedic unit about 300 miles a day, responding code 3, lots of looking around and in the mirrors. If you can used to them, you'll never go back to bifocals.

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #6  
I was the same way with the progressive..ly aggravating lens. I've had trifocals now for the past 10 or 15 years and that works much better for me.

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #7  
I have had progressives for probably ten years. I haven't even thought about a problem after the first week.

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #8  
I have been using progressive lenses for about the last 12 years... Wouldn't get anything but. When I first got them, it was a challenge to get used to them because of exactly what you reported. I am "near sighted". ( can't see crap anymore without the glasses). I never used bifocals, when I finally had to get either bifocals or progressives, I started with them. My wife is "far sighted" and she started with bifocals. Last time we went for new glasses, she tried the progressives for about 3 weeks and then returned them for bifocals. She could not get used to them. I don't know if it was because she used bifocals first, or just plain couldn't tolerate them. I do get "the best" type of lenses, which have a larger peripheral field of view. The secret to using progressive is changing your habit... You DO need to turn your head, not just your eyes, to look left or right, keeping your vision in the "sweet spot". I drive an EMS paramedic unit about 300 miles a day, responding code 3, lots of looking around and in the mirrors. If you can used to them, you'll never go back to bifocals.

Very good information and spot on with the head turning, it took me a while but I do like them.

/ Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #9  
I also got the progressive. Same problems with the view. Tossed em. Lot of money wasted. What or why are progressive better than bifocal ? Just that you do not have the sharp dividing line ? Pros and cons ? Will eventually have to use one or the other.

Last edited:
   / Bifocals and Progressive Lenses #10  
I started out with "readers", strong for up close and weak for distance. When I did finally get an eye check up, my Dr. said what I was using was about right. But the fumbling with two pairs of glasses eventually sent me back for a single pair. I got the progressives and got used to them in two days. That was ten years ago.

Each time I get new glasses, I have to get "used to them", even though my prescription hasn't changed all that much.

I have never worn Bifocals but I can imagine the sharp line between would annoy me.

What I miss about having two separate glasses is when working overhead and up close. The top of the lens is for far distance and you need the up close part. So tilting your head back as far as you can.

Bifocals are a lot cheaper and most often fully covered with even the basic insurance plans. Progressives you pay a lot out out of pocket