Rural Bashing?

/ Rural Bashing? #1  

MountainWoods

Tractor
John Deere 4120
Do you ever have (perhaps well intentioned?) friends or acquaintances bash rural living -- to you or in front of you?

I've had co-workers who could just not understand why I would live in the country, at the same time I could not (for the life of me) understand why that same person would want to live all crammed up together in the city. In one case it used to be a running harassment -- and unfortunately, this guy was not just doing a "little bit of teasing". I think we both had the same case of "I can't possibly see why you would..." But he started it. Unfortunately, he had the fact that he was in the majority opinion on his side. :irked:

I don't really bash city or suburban living because, well, look at the facts! The vast majority of folks like living all crammed up like that. (If you have too much chili for lunch, the folks 3 homes over can tell it...) Not for me. If I have chili, I want to only have to air out my own home!

Mind you, I grew up in a small town (which is no longer a small town), and I went to college in the big city (Chicago anyone?). But it just ain't for me. Call me Oliver Wendell Douglas if you wish, and I won't mind at all.

I don't intend this to be an argument for or against living in one place or another, but I was wondering what kind of nonsense you other rural-living-by-choice folks put up with. Thanks.

/ Rural Bashing? #2  
My late step Dad always insinuated in some condescending manner that I lived "out in the bush" .

I feel sorry for those that have to be part of some herd.

/ Rural Bashing? #3  
Yup, my co-workers can't believe that I live "All the way out there"!!! Then I say, I set my cruise at 60 or 75 and I get home before you do! City living ain't for me. Can't park that on the street, making too much noise too late, neighbors critters in my yard, noise, high taxes, etc. etc.
But stop trying to convince them they are wrong, he might become your neighbor!

/ Rural Bashing? #4  
I see 2 sides to this:
FIRST - there are those that believe rural residents are wasting our resources that could be used to provide substance - food specifically

SECOND - there are those that believe having space between you and your neighbor reduces stress and makes better life

My argument and grief: urban sprawl is taking over our farmland also - we should be building our mega cities in wastelands rather than farmlands, I've not ever seen corn growing on concrete sprawl

My lifestyle doesn't bode well to urban/city living, but I also am conscious of our resources to the best I can - which is why I practice catch and release & selective harvest when I fish!

I've had similar sometimes counter productive discussions, best I can say is walk away agreeing to disagree, and find something to be mutual friends about! Hey, invite them out for a real fall BBQ and bonfire - might go a long way.

/ Rural Bashing? #5  
Was he in a position that made you have to care what he thought?

Preference is preference. There is no need to justify or validate it.

/ Rural Bashing? #6  
I have been coming here or living on this 100 acre property for half a century. Then a piece of prime farm land was allowed to be severed next to me for whatever reason. Now, those people (in a new house) complain of noise and stink from the organic farming operation on our place. Just friggin stupid!

/ Rural Bashing? #7  
So true. Its sort of like "don't complain, don't explain."

One of my favorite stories about country living: a couple years ago my daughter [early twenties] went into town [real small] with me to get a pizza. Wee pulled up to the side street by the shop and I parked -- there were no other cars on the street. She said, "can you park here, there are no other cars." That's what happens when you live in a city or big town too long -- you assume that if the parking is too easy, it must be illegal. I always get a chuckle out of that.

/ Rural Bashing? #8  
I've never heard of anything quite so crazy. To the man - all my friends wish they could live in the country as I do.

/ Rural Bashing? #9  
I've had success with this- slowly and calmly state- "you were made for the city" then take a moment to look them head to toe and then in the eye and say -"it suiting you well"

Then change the subject or walk away.

If pressed state we were all made to walk different roads.

Most individuals look down on what they don't know or understand. Ignorant ones belittle the above points.

Arguing over this is like wrestling a pig in mud. You quickly realize the pig likes it.

/ Rural Bashing? #10  
I don't associate with them kinds of people