Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #1  

JohnMacca

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
I have been a keen sport and target shooter for more than 40 years and have been reading with interest (and amazement) the threads regarding open or concealed carrying of firearms in the US. The common justification to carry a gun either way is for personal protection from 2 or 4 legged feral animals.

I thought you might find it interesting to read about how different the situation is in Australia with firearm ownership and use. The following is a story from a local newspaper.

Border farmer has guns taken after confronting man armed with a knife at his home | The Border Mail

Some background info that will help.

• The district where the farm is would be about 10 to 15 miles from the nearest city with a police station (Albury - pop approx. 50,000) It is in New South Wales (NSW).
  • Triple Zero is the Australian version of 911
  • Before you can own or use a firearm you must obtain a shooters licence. To get one you must have a "genuine reason" for wanting a licence. The law says specifically that personal protection is NOT a genuine reason. (Different states in Australia have their own firearm laws, but they are basically all very similar. For details Google Victorian Firearms Act or NSW Firearms Act).

So for waving an empty .22 bolt action rifle at a bloke with a knife bashing on his door at 3AM, he used that firearm not in line with his "genuine reason" for having a shooters licence. His licence is suspended and, because you cannot possess firearms without a licence, his firearms are confiscated.

By the way, handgun ownership for a normal person is only possible if you are a member of a target shooting club and you can only use it at that club at official shoots. Forget about carrying it around anywhere or having fun :eek: shooting tin cans off a post in your 1000 acre back paddock!

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #2  
Lot of people here in this country dont realize that firearms can be taken away here to, and a growing number of US citizens don even care anymore. We have the second amendment but that's up and open to interpretation and that's why I wont vote democrat anymore, guess it's to late for down under. I really like taking my guns out anytime I want and target shoot.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #3  
Its a shame, the guy was just protecting his family. Yeah call 000, or 911 hear, I'd be lucky to get someone to my house in 5 minutes, just in time to put someone in a body bag. Maybe I need to get a hockey stick?

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #4  
John, what can we say? We are sorry for the way things are in your country, but you all sat back and let it happen. You let the liberals gain the upperhand in your political world, and you didn't fight hard enough to keep your rights. And it is true your rights were never solidly codified into law like our second amendment. Although many have tried to tear down the second amendment or to say it has no meaning or does not mean what it says. Yes it can happen here, and in many places illegal laws have been passed and are being enforced to nullify the 2nd. Your country is like the canary in the coal mine for us. We can look to you and see where we are headed.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #5  
"and have been reading with interest (and amazement) the threads regarding open or concealed carrying of firearms "
I have to admit, the first time I conceal carried while walking past an armed guard in a bank, I was slightly uncomfortable. That was many years ago.
It is a right I do not take for granted. I have watched the story unfold Down Under with great interest. The anti-gun often use your experience as a model. Minus many truths of course... In any society, when the point is reached where common sense is not so common anymore, quality of life erodes for the average man.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #6  
Since ***** got elected;gun sales have gone down.I think people are less afraid that they are going away any-time soon.***** was the best thing that could happen to the gun industry.Ammo is more available also right now;people aren't hording like they were.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #7  
We had the World Shoot, for bench rest shooting, at my club in 2015. The Aussie team asked if the could stay over for an extra day and shoot stuff they can no longer have at home. Of course the answer was "**** Yes". They got to shoot AR15's, MP5, ans short barreled rifles suppressed and un-suppressed. They had a great time.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #8  
We have a hero here who was an actor and became the president of the National Rifle Association, Charlton Heston.
He made famous the slogan "From My Cold Dead Hands!" referring to what it would take to remove his gun rights.
He also owned a serious arsenal of weapons that could have supported a small ARMY.
Our cities with the most crime have the toughest gun laws!

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen
John, what can we say? We are sorry for the way things are in your country, but you all sat back and let it happen. You let the liberals gain the upperhand in your political world, and you didn't fight hard enough to keep your rights. And it is true your rights were never solidly codified into law like our second amendment. Although many have tried to tear down the second amendment or to say it has no meaning or does not mean what it says. Yes it can happen here, and in many places illegal laws have been passed and are being enforced to nullify the 2nd. Your country is like the canary in the coal mine for us. We can look to you and see where we are headed.

Hi James. I agree that we let it happen, but you have noted the big difference with your second amendment. As far as I can determine, gun ownership here has always been a privilege, not a right - and this is by the lawmakers, not just the politicians. This wasn't an issue many years ago when a higher percentage of the population had exposure to guns (farmers, returned servicemen from the wars, and country people in general), and most had no issue with the neighbour owning and using a gun. But now those people are in the minority, and their voice is drowned out.

I'm trying real hard to stay away from politics and the sad truth is that it wouldn't matter much which political party was in power here. As in so many other issues these days, the loudest voices are coming from those who are constantly "offended" by whoever has a different opinion to them on any issue. They demand that you be stopped from doing whatever it is, and no political party or government seems to have the will to resist that.

I suppose the point of my post was that, while there are different opinions on issues like wether you should open carry a handgun, you should all be grateful that you have the ability to decide these things and can continue to enjoy owning and using a wide range of firearms.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen
We had the World Shoot, for bench rest shooting, at my club in 2015. The Aussie team asked if the could stay over for an extra day and shoot stuff they can no longer have at home. Of course the answer was "**** Yes". They got to shoot AR15's, MP5, ans short barreled rifles suppressed and un-suppressed. They had a great time.

I'm sure they did! It would have been a great experience to hold and shoot stuff that you have only seen on TV or in movies - and not be seen as a nutter or a potential mass murderer while doing so!