Porch roof

/ Porch roof #1  

Molerj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 955, 1978 Economy Power King, JD X500
I'm having my roof replaced due to a recent hail storm and I am considering adding a roof over our deck. I have an Amish contractor that is quite capable of the build. Problem is I'm not sure how big to make it. I would like to cover the whole deck 12x28 but we are planning on making an enclosed year round sunroom on one end. 12x14. In the near future. The wife doesn't think it will look right and only wants to cover the area where the sunroom will be. I see those shows on tv where they show you drawings/pics of what it would look like. Where do I go about getting that, short of paying an architect?

/ Porch roof #2  
The learning curve on most of those programs can be rather overwhelming. For a one tome project, I would get some graph paper and a pencil to draw it out to scale. You'll find it to be easier, faster and probably cheaper.

/ Porch roof #5  
Google sketchup is really powerful and quick to learn. There's lots of blocks (drawings of things like table, chair, boat, airplane, space shuttle, etc.) already created that you can import easily. And it's free for non-commercial use.

Sketchup

It is 3 dimensional and you can walk thru it and see how things look. I did our house with it to check sight lines and to be sure everything fit before committing to a set of drafted plans. And you can try out different surface finishes and colors.

Sketchup Example.jpg

By the way did I mention it's free to non-commercial users?

/ Porch roof
Thanks, I'll look into that.