What to see in Vermont ?

/ What to see in Vermont ? #1  

David Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
The wife and I are planning to head up through New England states, mainly Vermont middle of Oct. Is there anything that is a must see? I am hoping the fall colors are near peak, Wanting to avoid the tourist trap rat race and would like to see a sugar camp, maybe learn some on the process to help me be more efficient in my hobby. I like the idea of small town dinners and bed & breakfast rather than a chain hotel.

Thanks,
David

/ What to see in Vermont ? #2  
Texas Falls in Hancock Vermont. It's gorgeous anytime of year.

Texas Falls - Vermont

If your into a little adrenalin, there are a couple ski resorts that offer alpine slides. Those are a blast. It's basically a luge run down the mountain side in a sled :) And being fall you can also take in a good view of the foliage on the ride up on a ski lift.

If your looking for good foliage up there, early, early october is the time to go. Later and you might see one or two trees.

Food is awesome up there. Look for the mom an pop shops for good food. Two Brothers Tavern in Middlebury Vermont has one of the best cheese steak sandwiches you'll ever have :) Also fantastic hamburgers.

Dakan Farms in ferrisburg vermont, has a sugar shack set up at there store. Can see syrup being made in the spring time. Also have good smoked products and cheeses for sale there also.

Teddy bear factory is an interesting tour.

And a must is a tour of the Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory :D

Last edited:
   / What to see in Vermont ? #3  
Up state VT second weekend about first November just have to watch out for heavy frost,leaves are painted wildlife in there glory,still many good ole fashion road side diners,if you decide to go off the beaten trail reminder about ticks.

/ What to see in Vermont ? #4  
Good Afternoon David,
Going to Vermont in October, I think you will be hard pressed to find any place in the state that is not beautiful ! In our local peak foliage is usually Oct 10 th give or take a few days.
The last couple of weeks have been kind of on the dry side,
so that may effect the color to some degree.

I would suggest doing a little research before you go, there are numerous breweries through out the state, if you like to do that type of thing. Also many wineries, cheese making facilities,
all fun places to visit while having some thing to eat and drink !

I think it has a lot to do with what you and your wife enjoy doing. There are great hiking trails through out the state ! I would start listing out your bucket list of things to see and do then plan your itinerary
around that !

Also keep in mind that travel in Vt is much easier north to south than east to west ! Just a suggestion !:)

/ What to see in Vermont ? #5  
1 - If you have a gun, do NOT take it. You'll be going through NY and Mass most likely.

No trip can't be complete to Vermont without stopping by Ben & Jerry's in Middlebury IMO (tourist trap yes, still an interesting process). As mentioned, good restaurants in Middlebury as well as Montpelier (never had a bad meal at JP Morgan's and Caldushi's sp? really horrendous I'm certain).

I'm partial to Bragg farm just north of Montpelier as my wife use to work next door on the farm when she was a kid. Don't forget to ask for a maple creamy! I'm certain no matter what place you stop in at for maple syrup, someone will be willing to talk about the process.

Downtown Burlington is pretty cool. Harbor area is neat and they nice size boat you can go out on lake Champlain on.

As mentioned, North to South is a lot easier than East to West. My father in law still complians that the interstate ruined the state with everyone from Boston coming in LOL

/ What to see in Vermont ? #6  
1 - If you have a gun, do NOT take it. You'll be going through NY and Mass most likely.

No trip can't be complete to Vermont without stopping by Ben & Jerry's in Middlebury IMO

I used to live in Middlebury and happened to take care of the alarm system at the Ben and jerrys store there. They used to give us free rain on the coffee, hot cocoa and hook us up with some ice cream before leaving :D Usually walked out of there with a major caffeine and sugar rush :cool2:

It must have been a while since you visited Middlebury. Was up there 3 years ago for a reunion and the store was closed down :(

OP will either have to visit the store in Burlington, Rutland, or the best option is to just visit the factory in Waterbury-Stowe area.

Carrying a gun thru New York can be done. I've moved to and from vermont a couple of times, and traveled through New York several times. Got pulled over with the gun cases behind the seat of the truck. It was obvious what they were and nothing was said. Stay out of New York city with guns.

Keep the gun locked in a case, ammo stored separately in a locked container, both in the trunk of the vehicle. They would need a search warrant and probable cause in order to get to them.

/ What to see in Vermont ? #7  
It must have been a while since you visited Middlebury. Was up there 3 years ago for a reunion and the store was closed down :(

Factory. Believe it was two years ago. Had to get pictures with a new son:D Still laugh when the guy from Texas (who was moving to Vermont because his wife was native there) asked during the tour why Ben and Jerry's cost more in Vermont than it did in Texas LOL I keep telling my wife if she wants to move back for her job, she won't get any complaints from me. She still says heck no. Dosen't miss the taxes, cost of living and mud season.

As for the possibilty of traveling with a gun, it's not worth the risk IMO. New York and Mass are Gestapo states. Cops don't know the laws, you must of gotten lucky and had one that did, added you were moving and had everything secured properly. On vacation? Again, to iffy for me and the possible Barney Fife you could possibly encounter. Dosen't matter if you're right, only matters what the guy next to your car says you have to do.

/ What to see in Vermont ? #8  
What others say is right on, beware Columbus Day weekend in the touristy spots, over the granite state way, those towns are hammered with people. The kankamagus hiway from Lincoln to Conway NH is one pretty ride, but the colors are usually gone about a week or two earlier than most spots that part of the world, but you never know.
The 1st week of October has a great fair (the best in my humble opinion) is the Fryeburg Maine fair, just over the border from Conway NH.
Have fun and enjoy our beautiful New England treasure!
MT

/ What to see in Vermont ? #9  
Forgot to add, you need to check out Hope cemetary in Barre. The granite work is amazing on the headstones. Last time up with the wife working up there, took the boys on the granite quarry tour in Barre.

Rock cutting is huge or was huge in that area.

Rock of ages is the company. Ironcially enough, my father in law (cemetary named after his family in Vermont) moved an hour away from us, and Rock of ages has a location next to him in Granite, NC (outside of Salisbury). My boys got a kick out of that.

/ What to see in Vermont ? #10  
As for the possibilty of traveling with a gun, it's not worth the risk IMO.

Unless you're planning to go hunting, don't really need a gun anyway. It's pretty safe up here.

Foliage so far hasn't been as brilliant as in other years. We've been having kind of a warm spell last couple weeks, not sure if that's affecting it or what. Lots of trees' leaves just seem to be turning brown and falling off.