Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind?

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #11  
We too have a blind 15 yr old Jack Russell along with three younger dogs.
It's interesting to watch the pack instinct when we let them out as the younger dogs wait for the ole guy and they more or less stick together as a group. I truly believe a dogs sense of smell is their radar and a sight impaired pup does much better with familiar companions both human and K-9.
B. John
+1 Hard to beat having a pal or two around for guidance. Sorry to hear about your buddy.

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #12  
The Boston Terrier in my avatar (Eddie) was blind the last 2 years if his life. He had a doggie door to the outside and managed very well. Went up and down stairs in the house and knew every inch of his yard. He was a good boy...

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #13  
The Boston Terrier in my avatar (Eddie) was blind the last 2 years if his life. He had a doggie door to the outside and managed very well. Went up and down stairs in the house and knew every inch of his yard. He was a good boy...
We've had 2 cocker spaniels that seem to be guaranteed to lose sight at about age 10. Hearing loss comes next. Both managed quite well until the tumors took them down at age 13. They both "bumped around" for awhile but they figured it out.

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #14  
We've had 2 cocker spaniels that seem to be guaranteed to lose sight at about age 10. Hearing loss comes next. Both managed quite well until the tumors took them down at age 13. They both "bumped around" for awhile but they figured it out.
Yep, it doesn't take long for them to get the lay of the land.

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #15  
Our Jack Russell is around 15 years old and has been getting cataracts as well. We started noticing it a couple years ago. The first time we realized something was up, he went to jump up on the back of my wife's chair. He cleared the top of the chair, bounced off the wall and hit the floor :eek:

We noticed he was getting really bad, when I left the house with him snoozing on the back of my recliner. Came home three hours later, he was still on the back of the chair crying. He couldn't figure out how to get back down.

For the most part, he gets around pretty good. Dark and shadows screw with him. He pokes through the house at night, instead of tearing around like he used too. He stays inside when we are gone, and has separate outdoor time from our other dog. We actually keep him separated from our other dog when we aren't at home. He's getting feeble and our other dog senses it and will go after him.

We just roll with it though. He gets hooked to a run if I can't stay outside with him. And make sure he's on the floor when we leave.

Animals are pretty resilient and get around good blind. We used to have a blind horse that could navigate a 10 acre area. Half was pasture, half was woods. If she was in the lower half of the pasture, and you called her, she would come running. Slow down to a walk about 20ft from the barn, and creep in to the stall using your voice as a guide.

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #16  
My cocker spaniel of 15 years went totally blind about a year before I had to put him down. He did just fine inside. He wanted his leash on when we went outside. He and I bonded closer than ever that last year.

I would not worry about his eyesight. Watch how he gets around inside and put him on a leash when you go outside. He will appreciate the extra help you can give when outside.

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind?
Thanks for the feedback. I got exactly what I was looking for. Basically, just as it seems to be going now, she'll figure it out.

I would not worry about his eyesight. Watch how he gets around inside and put him on a leash when you go outside. He will appreciate the extra help you can give when outside.

Got her a carrying bag so when we go for a walk, she can go with us.

As to the comments about "the pack", the fact is she's the last of "her pack" as everyone else has died now. All the other ones came in as strays as well, and she's a good 10 years older than everyone else in the house. The other 3 tend to play with each other leaving her behind in the house. They do play sometimes together, but she's (the old one) is at the age where if she's not with out, she'd rather be napping LOL

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #18  
Now can anyone give me any tips about what to do with a wife who takes in strays who totally disrupt everything about our existing "pack", spends $hundreds for vet care for them, and then weeps bitterly when she realizes that it is best to find another home for the stray?

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #19  
Now can anyone give me any tips about what to do with a wife who takes in strays who totally disrupt everything about our existing "pack", spends $hundreds for vet care for them, and then weeps bitterly when she realizes that it is best to find another home for the stray?

Love her, comfort her and be grateful that you have a wife who cares so deeply. I would suggest that you discuss economics and practicality with her, but other than that you're on your own.

/ Any tips from anyone who has a dog who has gone blind? #20  
My little girl Minnie went partially blind but you'd never know it to watch her. She could navigate the yard and house flawlessly but sometimes if I were standing in the hallway in fairly dim light she would bump into me and I would be reminded that she was fairly blind.