Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Default Re: Small caliber target pistol?

I have a Browning Buckmark, I forget the name of the model exactly, but is a dream to target practice with. It has a nice grip, 11 round clip, fairly long barrel but to intrusive, nice looking and is very accurate.

Sort of like this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Brown...ols/705618.uts
    JD 3720 with R4s and bulldozer capabilities.
    X740

12 Millimeter = 1/2"
    100 Millimeter = 4"
    1 Meter = 40"
    1 Kilometer = 3300' or 5:8 ratio

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

My vote for the Ruger target model with the bull barrel. It's very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. But I'm sure the others are good also. I would see how they feel in your hand.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Tractor
    New Holland 345D shuttle, Rayco RG 50 Super, Southern Tractor (Hinomoto) E-280

For shooting fun and target practice, you may want to consider a pellet target pistol. Many good ones on the market.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

I'm a bit uncertain as to what you mean by "target shooting". If you're like me, target shooting is actually "Plinking". I have a Mark II that I bought so long ago that I can't remember when or where I bought it. I actually thought it was a MI. In any case, I had the pleasure of shooting one back in the early 50's and I loved it so much...just the way it fit my hand, and it seemed to almost have it's own sense as to where it should be pointed to hit your target, even if you didn't use the sights. It's great for plinking, if that's what you want. Plinking to me is not anything structured; beer cans and other inanimate objects are fair game, as is the occasional turtle or snake.

I don't shoot it much any more; I actually prefer a revolver, mainly for safety reasons, and I don't particularly like messing with the clip. For plinking, a revolver...like a Ruger single action or a S&W...are fine. They are also safer, especially if you ever have to use one for self defense. If your wife for instance is not very familiar with guns, particularly semi autos, a revolver is probably much better...it is in my case.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Veteran Member

As others have mentioned, Ruger MK series are hard to beat. You'll quickly be buying the device to help fill the clip unless you've got a tough thumbnail. IMHO, in a revolver - the S&W 617 is a nice pistol, albeit at a higher price.
    "Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable." CS Lewis

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

I have 3-22s, a Ruger, a Sig and a S&W long barrel with a funky large grip.. the S&W is so accurate ... it's like cheating. The Ruger is a piece of junk and the Sig is very nice but very finicky... it needs high velocity ammo otherwise it jams every other shot... Forgot.. also have a stainless S&W 22 revolver that I have only shot once.. a pita to keep loading it.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

My Buckmark is like this oneSmall caliber target pistol?-pix274921149-jpg
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Quote Originally Posted by kf4uda View Post
    I have owned a Ruger MK II for over 30 years. I have put countless rounds through it without a single problem. It has a 5 1/2" bull barrel and target sights and is very accurate. As has been mentioned, take down is not pleasant but I believe the new model has fixed that problem.
    i wish I'd never sold mine . Just a nice so.id easy to use fun shooter
    "I'm only here for the beer

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota l3130

I have both a Mark III with a bull barrel and a Single Six. The Mark III is cheaper ($299 at Coastal Farm on sale) and fairly accurate, since the barrel is fixed. The Single Six is more upscale, but slower, since it is single action. Mine has the long barrel (9-1/2" or 9-3/4", I forget) and you can't beat the accuracy for target shooting. Both guns have adjustable sights. The Single Six has the magnum cylinder and the long barrel gives a better velocity if you are looking for occasional power. For a new shooter, I would probably go the cheap route and start with the Mk III.

Unlike most guns, do not dry fire a .22 rimfire on an empty chamber. The firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber, which stands a good chance of chipping off the edge of the firing pin, making it unreliable. Load the gun with snap caps or expended brass if you want to dry fire.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

This is the one i have and really like. ( this one is not mine but a google search pic )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small caliber target pistol?-img_1318-png  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast