Small caliber target pistol?

/ Small caliber target pistol? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I'm interested in purchasing a .22 target pistol for "backyard" target practice.

I've read around online and I think I would like something similar to a Ruger MK model. I see they have quite a loyal following for some reason so, they must be good right?!?!?

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information available online.

Does anyone have this pistol or similar, for target shooting? I'm by no means an expert shooter but not completely inexperienced either. I have no desire to shoot competitively against anyone but myself.

What are you using for target shooting or plinking around the yard?

/ Small caliber target pistol? #2  
"What are you using for target shooting or plinking around the yard? "
I've owned a Ruger Single Six for more than 50 years and like it as well as the day I bought it. I'm am far more comfortable with safty aspects of the SS than I could ever be with a semi auto. Every discharge when dropped that I've heard of was an auto except one Saturday night special revolver. Yes I know carrying with one in the hole isn't the best of ideas but I only have seconds to shoot before hogs are out of range. I plink and carry with LR then carry mags when they are called for. Serious use has been limited mostly to wild hogs in recent years. I would sorta like to have a 357mag for hogs but the SSix isn't as bulky or heavy and I've never had one come back for a second go around with the WRM. I use the same point where you shoot method as I do with shotguns so a light weight is easier than a heavy frame revolver. I hear a lot of rapid fire around me and I know they injoy it but that's never been something I wanted to do. If I had to complain,it would be the report compared to the semi autos. If you don't carry on your hip,on tractor in truck seat and such the MK is a fine gun. At least we agree on brand.:thumbsup:

/ Small caliber target pistol? #3  
For inexpensive plinking and target shooting, a .22 can't be beat. The Rugers are good solid guns.

The Ruger Mk II can be a challenge to disassemble and reassemble unless you read the manual, LOL. The new Mk III is supposed to be simple to take down and reassemble.

I have both a 4" tapered barrel Mk II and the 678GC "target model". The target model is heavy and has a wonderful trigger, but I usually prefer the lightness and balance of the 4" tapered model.

I also have a couple of .22 revolvers. The single action revolvers are very slow to reload. I prefer the double action guns and I have a small S&W j-frame revolver.

You are asking at a good time, ammo prices are really coming down and .22 ammo is readily available and under 5 cents a round in bulk. A few years back, the prices were double that if you could find it at all.

/ Small caliber target pistol? #4  
I've got an S&W Victory that I am happy with.
We just use it for backyard practice. But it has been reliable, accurate, and fun for 1,000s of rounds

/ Small caliber target pistol? #5  
Hand-guns are like gloves;they have to fit you.I have done the same as you read about hand-guns but when I picked them up knew right away it was or wasn't for me.I found most Ruger auto loaders not comfortable for me;S&W .22 were the answer.
My center fires are Springfield XD's in 9MM sub-compact and a .40 S&W compact.

/ Small caliber target pistol? #6  
I have owned a Ruger MK II for over 30 years. I have put countless rounds through it without a single problem. It has a 5 1/2" bull barrel and target sights and is very accurate. As has been mentioned, take down is not pleasant but I believe the new model has fixed that problem.

/ Small caliber target pistol? #7  
View attachment 523020I have the Ruger MKlll Target. Its got the 5" bull barrel. I shoot a few tin cans but mainly chipmunks. Shoots good - its more accurate than I am.

The chipmunks and I play a game. They stand on a big 'ol log out in the yard. They run back/forth - jump up and down - stick their tongue out at me. I take a couple shots at them - usually miss - they run away and rest up for another day.

Obviously, a winter pic of the yard out beyond the front porch. The "chipmunk log" but probably no munks until the coming spring.

Last edited:
   / Small caliber target pistol? #8  
I have the Ruger Mark III Target with a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight and new grips. I was using it for Bullseye shooting. It's a bit heavy with the red dot, but I needed it for my old eyes. I tried the 22/45, but the Mark III just felt better in my hand. Take down isn't too bad after you do it a few times.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

/ Small caliber target pistol? #9  
I love the Ruger Mark series of pistols for plinking. Recently I came across a used Browning Buck Mark Silhouette with 10" bull barrel and a nice scope for $200. It is the most deadly accurate pistol I have ever fired. The only drawback is that it is extremely heavy, but from a rest position, one can put bullet after bullet into nearly the same hole at 25 yards. Since it has a forearm, I am not sure you call it a pistol though.
For those of you not familiar with it, please Google it for photo. I don't readily have a link, but Guns America sometime has one for sale.

/ Small caliber target pistol? #10  
I've got an S&W Victory that I am happy with.
We just use it for backyard practice. But it has been reliable, accurate, and fun for 1,000s of rounds

I have the same gun, Best 22 handgun I have ever owned. I win a lot of comps with it and the local indoor range. you can't beat the price for you get, bull barrel, nice adjustable fiber optic sights and SS to boot for $350.00.. The new Ruger is nice but for the price the Victory shoots as good or better.