Water separator for small air compressor.

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
My 27 gallon spits out water as if it thinks it's a faucet even though it's emptied after each use.. I need something to get rid of the water and those little collectors you attach to the compressor outlet I find are worthless. It seems the collection needs to be moved further away from the compressor? Some of the driers or evaporators I've seen are close to $300 and I didn't pay that for the compressor. I'm hoping there must be something out there that is effective without being that expensive?

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #2  
If it's putting out as much as you say, I'd think one of these would help as a start ... and it's fairly cheap to boot:

Automatic Compressor Drain Kit

/ Water separator for small air compressor.
If it's putting out as much as you say, I'd think one of these would help as a start ... and it's fairly cheap to boot:

Automatic Compressor Drain Kit

It starts spitting Rsy when it's dead empty. I know there must be water in the hose but it is more of a condensation problem I think. I'll give this a try as it is indeed cheap and always good to have. Thank you.

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #4  
It starts spitting Rsy when it's dead empty. I know there must be water in the hose but it is more of a condensation problem I think. I'll give this a try as it is indeed cheap and always good to have. Thank you.
Glad to be of service.

FWIW, I have two of them - one on an old 5HP 30G Coleman compressor down here in the garage at house, and another one on the 5HP 60G up in the shop.

The only downside I've been able to find is that they eventually crud up to the point that they won't fully seal and will bleed air off. At that point you have to pull them, take them apart, and clean them ...

Or, if you're like me, just ignore it until the goo works it way out and it starts sealing again ... :laughing:

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #5  
If your compressor is is not moved around much a water separator can be constructed out of 1/2" iron pipe and mounted on the outside wall of your shop. Four or five horizontal sections connected to verticals with elbows, make the horizontal sections long enough to put a little slope on them to drain down. At the bottom a vertical piece with a tee near the top and a boiler drain tap at the bottom to collect the water and drain it. Run the compressed air from top to bottom, it will cool as it passes through and the moisture will condense out. This system will work best if it is between the compressor and the tank preventing moisture from getting into the tank. It's not very portable but very effective.

If your compressor is is not moved around much a water separator can be constructed out of 1/2" iron pipe and mounted on the outside wall of your shop. Four or five horizontal sections connected to verticals with elbows, make the horizontal sections long enough to put a little slope on them to drain down. At the bottom a vertical piece with a tee near the top and a boiler drain tap at the bottom to collect the water and drain it. Run the compressed air from top to bottom, it will cool as it passes through and the moisture will condense out. This system will work best if it is between the compressor and the tank preventing moisture from getting into the tank. It's not very portable but very effective.

Unfortunately Mapper the reason I got this one was for portability. I drag it all over and at times, run it off my generator. I understand the concept but I was hoping for something I could purchase and be done with it.

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #7  
My 27 gallon spits out water as if it thinks it's a faucet even though it's emptied after each use.. I need something to get rid of the water and those little collectors you attach to the compressor outlet I find are worthless. It seems the collection needs to be moved further away from the compressor? Some of the driers or evaporators I've seen are close to $300 and I didn't pay that for the compressor. I'm hoping there must be something out there that is effective without being that expensive?

That Automatic Compressor Drain Kit that rswyan posted looks interesting. For spiting water out of the hose you need a water separator 25 feet downstream of the tank. I bought a 25' x 1/2" hose for mine and coiled the excess hose on the floor and up to a water separator.
In my pic, the separator is just outside the pic on the right. It's a little congested in the corner with the compressor power line and a generator drop cord.

Quincy.jpg

That Automatic Compressor Drain Kit that rswyan posted looks interesting. For spiting water out of the hose you need a water separator 25 feet downstream of the tank. I bought a 25' x 1/2" hose for mine and coiled the excess hose on the floor and up to a water separator.
In my pic, the separator is just outside the pic on the right. It's a little congested in the corner with the compressor power line and a generator drop cord.

View attachment 523729

Who makes the separator BT?

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #9  
I bought a 1/4 " Kobalt In-line Moisture Filter at Lowe's cheap and put it at the end of the hose (the size hose I have on both my compressors). I put a male air coupling on input side and female air coupling to 1/4" male thread on output side. It is moveable between compressors. Have not used it since installing so I can't say how it works yet.
879686005018.jpg

/ Water separator for small air compressor. #10