Looking for semi-retirement land

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #1  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I'm looking for input from you guys about land for my semi-retirement. I grew up on the East coast and I seriously miss the green, the water (streams, rivers, lakes, ocean) all of it. I seriously miss the rain (yes, the RAIN). I cannot live in a city... Never have.. Never will. I feel comfortable being about 45 to 60 minutes outside of a city or large town. I have tried to google different areas for land, but have not had much success. Realtors don't want to really give me the time of day because we're not present. Here's what I'm looking for: definately rural, can be either wide open pasture / grass, or partially wooded (preferred). Can be high up in the mountains... Just want green. At least short driving range to WATER! We have lived in the high desert for the past 20 years and I'm tired of being a prune let alone try and grow a garden.
Here's the tricky part...
1) Don't want to be in an area where you need a permit for everything. I have been a licensed general contractor (electric, plumbing, framing, drywall, finish... Etc.)for 30 years... I don't need a punky 25 year old telling me I'm doing it wrong.
2) I'm planning on cutting up, lifting, and moving an existing 1br 1bath cottage (600 sq ft) to the site and put it over a basement. (Hence item #1) I've built and lived in the 6000 sq ft mansion, "downsized" to the 3400 sq ft house, and now the Mrs and I plan on living simply and being able to go fishing and traveling w/ our travel trailer to see the beautiful sites of the U.S.
3) Must have available water supply (well, community, etc..). Living in the high desert, we had 2 500' wells go dry and I hauled water to fill 3000 gal storage tanks for about 12 years until we finally got community water at a cost of $25K. Don't want to do that again!
4) Electric.. Maybe.. Depending on cost /availability.. Can go solar.
5) Minimal 2-5 acres (depending on how private), max acres ???
6) here's the real hard part.. Around $50K max.

Am I seriously unrealistic? or do you guys know where this secluded, spectacular, dream property is located?

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #2  
I have no idea of the east coast prices. Northern Michigan $50K would get you 5 to 10 acres, easy. Not much of cities.....

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #3  
I live in Coastal SC, near Myrtle Beach. What you described can be found around here but not often. Well other than the building department for here they are very much what you do not want. If you move say even 50 miles from Coast inland more opens up for you and will more than likely have electricity (if a residence is placed on it normally power is run to it for low cost) and if no public water wells are not major issue as water level is reasonable high as long as the water does not have any mineral such as sulfur taste. You can contact the SC Dept of Agriculture for The Market Bulletin which had rural land for sale in it and the cost is low would do so on line. But the internet itself normally has a far amount of real estate on it for sale. One issue with real estate agents on land and I did sell real estate about 30 years ago is not many are really rural land people. They are only commercial or houses and few who work with land to any real idea of what is in their area. I would try reaching out to foresters for they often deal with people who want land logged to sell it or such. Probably not 100% correct but my guess in either of the Carolinas you would be within 40 miles or large town or small city from most anywhere in either state. If you want snow, either our foothills in SC but more so NC mountains or move further north. Oh coastal land here, no basements, water lever way to high. I would look for few acres with old farm house in fair shape and not try moving a house if I understood correctly.

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #4  
Coming from the northeast/mid atlantic, I kind of like it here in south central KY. Plenty of water (Lake Cumberland) close by or some smaller bodies (Green River). Land for maybe 1 to 3k or even less if you look. Some counties have minimal or no zoning and most livestock operations have cattle. Very few pig or chicken operations. Mostly county water but my last place did have a well. Power is reasonable compared to many places but being off of the grid is not uncommon. Permits? LOL!

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #5  
A co-worker recently told me his dad is giving up his place in Mo to move into a retirement home. 1200 sq ft solar powered cabin with 400 sq ft walkout basement on 7 acres of red sandy loam,30"average annual rainfall, get's about 6" of snow once or twice a year,highs of 80s in summer,lows in the teens in winter. Shollow well water,yeararound spring fed stream with native smallmouth and seasonal trout walleye. Occasional deer,turkey and black bear,abundance of birds and other wildlife. 4 miles off interstate on all weather asphalt and gravel roads. 50 miles to 14,000 acre lake and 80 miles to 150,000 population city. $85k owner finance w/$25k down.

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #6  
I have used the LandsofAmerica.com site to look for rural property.

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #7  
I believe you can find pretty much what your looking for anywhere in the US except for the south west.

The key question becomes what area of the country do you want to move to help narrow your search? How close to the ocean do you have to be?

I do know from first hand experience that many parts in NC, Tenn, WV and Kentucky, Montana and Idaho will fit your bill. Then the question becomes how much snow do you want to deal with? High up in the mountains kind of means two different things IMO depending if you're on the east coast or in Idaho and Montana as well.

Personally, as I've gotten older myself, I don't miss the snow.

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #8  
The question is not land prices, but,, neighbors.

The rural setting you are looking for is also desired by some others.
Watch this movie,, before you just "drop" into any rural location.

Winter's Bone - Wikipedia

ANY location I wanted to move to would require a minimum of a 1/2 year rental nearby,,
so that I could "learn" the location.

This is nothing new,, I have a friend that moved from Erie PA to the Roanoke VA valley back in the late 1980's.
He picked the wrong location,, and had to move about 2 years later.
6 months of rental would have educated him,,,

/ Looking for semi-retirement land #10  
Cadplans Link not work for me :(

Hmmmmmm,,, works fine for me,,
the movie is "Winter's Bone",,
and should be required viewing for anyone that thinks they can just move to rural land.

I live in a rural setting, and have no issues like the movie shows,,
but, I could drive less than 1.5 hours,, and show you the issues depicted in the movie. :eek: