Processing a pig

/ Processing a pig #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, 3 weeks ago, a friend called, and she wanted to get rid of 2 pigs. I expected 45-80 lbs pigs, but these where between 180-250. I got one, and have feed it for 3 weeks, and I'm going to stop this weekend. The way I figure it, I'm in a 200+ lbs pig for $39 in feed, so I'm not going to pay a butcher. I've processed deer, and helped skin a pig, but never cut pork chops, made bacon, ECT. Any tips? I will be shooting it at my pen, loading on trailer and taking it around the street to friends house with skinning rack.

/ Processing a pig #3  
So, 3 weeks ago, a friend called, and she wanted to get rid of 2 pigs. I expected 45-80 lbs pigs, but these where between 180-250. I got one, and have feed it for 3 weeks, and I'm going to stop this weekend. The way I figure it, I'm in a 200+ lbs pig for $39 in feed, so I'm not going to pay a butcher. I've processed deer, and helped skin a pig, but never cut pork chops, made bacon, ECT. Any tips? I will be shooting it at my pen, loading on trailer and taking it around the street to friends house with skinning rack.
Around here with our German/Polish/Bohemian roots and traditional butchers everywhere I wouldn't even think of doing it myself (done properly the only thing that goes to waste is the squeal). But given your location follow the advice you get here. Good luck!

/ Processing a pig #4  
We used to do this all the time when I was a kid. Several things I learned as I got older. If you let the hog hang overnight the meat is cooler and easier to cut. We used to split the hog down the backbone with a hand saw. It's a lot easier with a reciprocating saw with a new blade in it. Just wash the blade before you use it. I've never skinned a hog. When I was a kid we would heat up water in a wooden trough and pour it over the pig and scrape the hair off. Now we just use a propane torch and make the skin bubble and scrape the hair off. As for the cuts of meat I don't know too much. Someone else always did that.

The bellys were always ground up and made into cracklings. (If you haven't tasted cracklings you haven't lived.) Unfortunately there is no bacon then as that's where the bacon comes from. We also made sausage, head cheese, spare ribs and all the regular cuts and roasts. I just about forgot about the lard. It's the best for making pies...or so I'm told.

/ Processing a pig #5  

You definitely want to chill the meat after you split the carcass, preferably overnight. I built a small walk in cooler as we do a couple a year + a beef, but you can get by using an ice bath in a watering trough or a chest freezer not running (or run it an hour, cut off for several, run it an hour.....be a LONG night :D ) Hog killing season is usually around Thanksgiving or later here to take advantage of near freezing temps at night....that's why I built a cooler...both mine are done for the fall.

We skin ours as well. 200lb pig, your halves will weigh in the 75lb range, so they won't be too hard to handle.

As for cutting, couple good butch knives and a bone saw and you can get by.....that is what I started with. Now have a small band saw, good Weston grinder for sausage/hamburger, and a good Weston vac packer. There are plenty of real good videos on Youtube....that is what got me started.

Lard is easy to render in a crockpot....cut into 1" cubes, start on high, switch to low so you don't scorch it. Ladle off thru cheesecloth lined strainer, and you have the best cooking fat going, bar none. 200lb pig probably won't have a lot.....they don't start really putting on the lard until 300 or so, so you may not have enough to fool with.

I brine cure my bacon and hams. You can use Morton's salt cure dry, but I find it get's the meat too salty for my taste, so I found a brine cure recipe on the net, and cure mine in stone crocks....but again, you need refrigeration while they cure.

/ Processing a pig #6  
a chest freezer not running (or run it an hour, cut off for several, run it an hour.....be a LONG night :D )

I'm thinking that a 125 volt thermostat wired into the freezer would do the trick. Or set up a timer to turn the freezer off and on a set intervals. Just a thought.

/ Processing a pig #7  
My folks used to wait until very cold weather. Infact a good freeze was known in hog killing weather. Good luck, I hope the meat doesn't spoil.

/ Processing a pig #8  
The FoxFire books had quite a few articles on pig processing. Some posters have hit on what I remember in the books but I am sure there is more information available.

If you know the breed of the pig, look up it's characteristics. Some pigs were bred to provide meat or lard. Good quality lard makes really good tasting food. :licking::licking::licking:

Later,
Dan

/ Processing a pig #9  
I'm thinking that a 125 volt thermostat wired into the freezer would do the trick. Or set up a timer to turn the freezer off and on a set intervals. Just a thought.

Yeah, there is a handy-dandy off the shelf thermostat you can use to turn a freezer into a fridge. I use one on one of my upright freezers to hold it in the mid-30's for curing hams/etc. Didn't know if the OP wanted to spring for one, or have the time to get it ordered/in.

Thermostat for Home Fridge and Freezer Temperature Control

9025__27199.1296920713.1280.1280.jpg

/ Processing a pig
Pig is done, and in 3-45 quart coolers, on ice. Really wasn't bad at all, 2 hours total. Had a friend help, and used his skinning rack. Sawzall with a New wood blade, two sharp knives (one hand made by great grandfather, who was a butch I hear),