Tracking Dog Collars

/ Tracking Dog Collars #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Does anyone on TBN have a tracking dog collar for their dog. I finally found my dog after a week of searching and I was thinking during the search If I find her I would get her a tracking collar. I'm looking for one with at least a 5 day battery and water proof. I'm still on the fence if I need a phone gps type with a low monthly fee of $4-$6, or radio signal with no monthly fee.

/ Tracking Dog Collars #2  
Think the phone app would work better longer range than radio signal

/ Tracking Dog Collars #3  
txdon,

We have been using Whistle brand for 3-4 years. They are a good company to work with. We have a Jack Russel that formally as a pup, was an off the leash guy. But he had a hard fall and the vet said to he him inactive for a month. When the time was up, he became very independent!. He would come in when HE wanted to.

So we got the Whistle tracker. It's very good. We always know where he is. It doesn't bring him in, but at least we know where to look. We are at the end of a 1 mile private road so normally roaming is fine. But as night falls, he is Coyote bait for sure. Our trick to get him in is to head to the mail box, 1 mile up the road. He loves to watch for squires from the dash. Then we drive in to the garage and close the door.

The apps works good 99% of the time. I don't think you get 5 days of active tracking but We have a routine where we charge it in the evening when we set up the coffee machine before bed.

/ Tracking Dog Collars #4  
We run Sportdog Tek 1 on our dogs.They are GPS/shock collar combinations.Not cheap at $500 but no monthly contracts and can track up to 70 miles.We run pointers and beagles and all the local coyote hunters use this collar.

/ Tracking Dog Collars #5  
I was in the same boat. Spent days looking for the dog. It broke my wife and my heart till he was located!! The problem with any of the collars is the battery life. Unless you are religious about changing that it’s worthless. The GPS is the way to go. If you are on here and willing to spend money on the collar the monthly fee is peanuts- plus you get a far superior product.

If only the dang thing only turned on when they were lost....that would be the trick!!!

/ Tracking Dog Collars #6  
I was in the same boat. Spent days looking for the dog. It broke my wife and my heart till he was located!! The problem with any of the collars is the battery life. Unless you are religious about changing that it’s worthless. The GPS is the way to go. If you are on here and willing to spend money on the collar the monthly fee is peanuts- plus you get a far superior product.

If only the dang thing only turned on when they were lost....that would be the trick!!!
I believe our collars with go 7-10 days with-out a recharge.Another forgotten item;purchase regular collars with your I.D. and number on them.Lion Country Supply has them for about $7.00.Our bird dogs are worth $3,000+ and our best buddies;don't want to loose them.

/ Tracking Dog Collars #7  
Our winter nights are long so I really like these from LLBean, they are spendy but the white is VERY reflective and it doesn't wear off near as fast as any other reflective collar I have tried. These are a couple years old, although they don't wear them at camp.

Attachments

• image-4282520461.jpg
    image-4282520461.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 224
   / Tracking Dog Collars #8  
The environmentalists around here keep calling the cops claiming we are cruelty and unfairly hunting with radio controlled dogs .

/ Tracking Dog Collars #9  
The environmentalists around here keep calling the cops claiming we are cruelty and unfairly hunting with radio controlled dogs .

They wouldn't notice if you didn't keep flying them dogs so high.

/ Tracking Dog Collars #10  

All kinds of nut cases out there.Just had a fellow tell me this one;his club advertised a clay pigeon shoot and some "person" wrote the paper stating that "clay pigeons" were an endangered species and the shoot should be canceled.