How to cut mule tape?

/ How to cut mule tape? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
A friend gave me 250 foot sections of mule tape they throw away at work. Mule tape for those who don't know is a combination of a wire and nylon (or polyester?) and it lies flat. Very strong. Pretty handy stuff, but it is very difficult to cut with the combination of a wire (steel?) and nylon. Anybody have a good way to cut it? Knife doesn't work unless you have already cut the steel-and it takes a sharp knife at that. Band saw grabs it, pulls it out of your hands. Chop saw doesn't work. Sheet metal shears cut the wire, but not the nylon.
What does work?

/ How to cut mule tape? #2  
Plasma gun? :D

/ How to cut mule tape? #3  
I would imagine that a skinny wheel or one of those muffler cutters that use the small abrasive wheels would zip right through it.
What was it intended for, kind of a strapping?

/ How to cut mule tape? #4  
Clamp it between two pieces of wood and use a circular saw with metal cutting blade.

Power sheers?

/ How to cut mule tape? #5  
Clamp it between two pieces of wood and use a circular saw with metal cutting blade.

Power sheers?

I vote for the circular saw.

/ How to cut mule tape? #6  
I'd say an abrasive cut off wheel would cut it. Maybe lay it across a block and use an axe.

/ How to cut mule tape? #7  
If it's like mule tape I'm familiar with, the wire is only like 26 ga or 29 ga, and has either one or two strands. Not much to cut with a good knife or utility sheers; unless you have something different than I'm used to.

/ How to cut mule tape? #8  
If it's like mule tape I'm familiar with, the wire is only like 26 ga or 29 ga, and has either one or two strands. Not much to cut with a good knife or utility sheers; unless you have something different than I'm used to.

I have always cut it with a knife as well.

/ How to cut mule tape? #9  
Interesting. Never heard of this stuff before. How about wire cutters and then scissors?

/ How to cut mule tape? #10  
Funny, I have never seen this with a metal strand. I was thinking of using some in my dishwasher earlier today as the (parachute) cord that tensions the door came off the roller and rubbed through. But thought it too flat to negotiate the pulleys. I just cut it with side cutters. That stuff is VERY strong. Why the metal strand?

I use linesmens pliars, small bolt cutters or even vice grips to cut 440 stainless antenna whips, so they should cut whatever is in that tape.