Snow Blower Carb Issue

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
So back in 2014 my wife bought me a very nice Cub Cadet Dual Stage Snow Blower. The first summer I had it I put Stabilized fuel in the gas tank. That first fall it wouldn't start. Took it back to the dealer and they said it was gummed up by the fuel, even though it had StaBil in it. So fast forward to the last 2 years. I started completely draining the fuel out of this thing and every fall now for 2 years I go to fuel it up for winter and start it and the O-Ring on the float bowl has dried up and leaking. So WTF. Do I have to remove the **** O-ring every year also and lubricate it? This is an OHV 208cc MTD Chinese built POS.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #2  
You have found the dilemma with carbs. Leave the fuel in and it goes bad and needs carb work. drain the fuel and the carb dries out and you still have to work on the carb. I would also suspect that if you pull the fuel bowl gasket it will swell from the fuel and then will have to be replaced because it will not longer fit to reassemble.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue
I also put stabilized fuel in my Toro Zero Turn with a Kawasaki motor and my Honda push mower and never an issue with either of these. I'm just thinking poor design on this thing.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #4  
I used stabil one time, had a **** of a time starting the engine, so for the past 6 years I added fuel shut off valves where I could and run the engine out of fuel. Next year open the valve wait a few minutes and start the engine, no problems. I leave fuel in the tank and run it out the following year

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue
It has to be the fuel causing the o-ring to get brittle and shrink. I leave stabilized fuel in it all winter and then drain in the spring. I also drain the bowl in the carb. My guess is the ethanol as long as it's in contact with the o-ring is fine but then it dries out the rubber when fuel is removed. That's my theory any way.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #6  
It has to be the fuel causing the o-ring to get brittle and shrink. I leave stabilized fuel in it all winter and then drain in the spring. I also drain the bowl in the carb. My guess is the ethanol as long as it's in contact with the o-ring is fine but then it dries out the rubber when fuel is removed. That's my theory any way.
It is the damned ethanol. Stabil works just fine.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #7  
Your best protection is 1) use a good quality stabilizer constantly in your fuel 2) Run the engine once a month for 5 minutes to cycle fresh fuel through the carb. Leave the fuel in the engine.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #8  
I run 91 octane premium without ethanol in all my small engines and no stabil. Never had a problem.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue
Replaced the O-ring last night, all is well again, probably until next year. I bought 2 this time.

/ Snow Blower Carb Issue #10  
You might try "Startron" stabilizer. It seems to have a bit better formulation than Stabil.