How often do you have your septic tank pumped?

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #11  
IMHO a septic tank should never need pumping. I went 20 years on mine without a problem. My distribution box collapsed and backed everything up so the first and easiest thing to try was pumping it out. It did not need it and it was later we finally figured out the problem. I don't plan to pump it anytime soon.

Septic tanks need lots of different bacteria to work the best. I could go into lots of detail on how to achieve this but here's the best advice. Lots of poop from different people and if you can find a dead cat throw it in the tank. When a cat decomposes it makes the best bacteria you can get. :thumbsup:

Edit; this is all assuming the only thing going into the tank is fecal matter and a little toilet paper and less water is good.
And do not use antibacterial soap.

Last edited:
   / How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #12  
Think it's more important every 5 years if the house is/might be sold by owner someday. Had mine done two months ago, about $100.00, ten years since last time and was still ok, helps if dont keep filling it with toilet paper. Most important thing is check the baffles in side making sure they're not broke and have it marked out out so can be found next time, I use the two string method from two fixed points, both string are marked for the location.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #13  
First question is how many females live there? ???
When I bought my last property in 1998 I popped the inspection lid off and with a metal rod I found it was 3/4 full solids on the bottom and 2 inches of cigarette butts on top.
I dumped a box of Rid-Ex in it and left it alone for a year until I could get back to it.
When I checked it after one year there were no solids or cigarette butts in it!!
I sold the property a year ago and had to have a pump out and state inspection for the sale.
That was the only pump out in 18 years and it passed inspection.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #14  
Our municipal laws mandate every 2 years for full time residents but every 4 years for seasonal users. (fines do apply and a report must be filed with municipality)

On my self dug tank (done to code) in a rental property that had full time residents for 6 months plus 'seasonal' for balance of the year I pumped it after 22 years* due to poor performance. It turned out that last tenant had flushed diapers that caused a clogging.

* pumper observed that that tank was just like a 3-4 years of usage.

A lot of factors come into play.
-showers vs baths (only 1 shower)
-low flush toilets (we had a RV loo)
-chemicals like toilet 'fresheners'
-colored TP (use white only)
-food greases
-garberaters
-laundry bleaches
-grease trap

Thanks to all the new regs a septic system has risen from $3000. to a current $20,000*. these days due to peculation tests and surveys all mandating certified professionals.
Heck even the installer needs a certification now.
Making it worse no septic system can be closer than 25 meters from the neighbors water source thus requiring a surveyor to survey all the neighbors as well as your property thus adding more costs.

* and occasionally more as the city inspector often decides that XYZ system is better than what U want or could install.

The end result is that anybody than can find a way to cheat will do so.
They took the stand that if 4 years was a decent norm then 2 would be better.

A 'pet peeve' yes I admit so.

Being on our association board I have contracted out with a reliable 'pumper' for some 7 years to perform an annual 'pumping blitz' which has saved all of us many $$s over time. He has never charged us more than $160, (txs incl) for the 'blitz' as well as no extras (hose, poor access etc). He also files paperwork for the city.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #15  
Never

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #16  
Some do use the toilet and sink for trash cans...

One thing that helps a lot in my opinion is a lint filter from the washing machine outlet...

What can I say... with tenants it's a crap shoot.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #17  
Built our house in 1986, all in accordance with code. Never pumped. My father built his house in 1955, he never pumped his cesspools so I saw no need to pump my tank.
Mine failed 15 years after installation requiring a new leaching pit X 2 because it was an emergency. Otherwise it would have required a field. My father had nothing but sand around his place. I have nothing but clay. We now pump annually.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #18  
We built our house in 1992 and there is only the two of us. It has two leaching tanks (town code). I have it pumped every 2 yrs. No garbage disposal, I pour grease into old coffee creamer containers and throw in the trash, and we wipe out grease from pans and plates etc. Never had a problem, don't want a problem, and don't expect any problem. Better safe than sorry!

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #19  
We are required to do it every 5 years or less. I had ours done for the first time at 4 years and it looked normal. Unless things change, I'll stretch to 5 years for the next cleaning.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped?
We do right by our septic as many of you suggested. I appreciate your helpful thoughts. The reason you see online is that solids make their way into drain field and plugging it. Our septic guy suggested that we put some red worms in the tank and it would help eat away the sludge and clean the drain field. If I remember it has been close to 10 inches the last two years. Don't know how the worms felt about that...