How often do you have your septic tank pumped?

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
We've not had an issue with our sand mound. The inspector that we hire says not to pump as it may raise a red flag with the county. When you look on the web, you see lots from septic companies saying every 3-5 years w/ 2 people in the house. So I'm just curious what folks do.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #2  
Wife, myself and my ninety year old father live here all the time and an adult daughter who visits two or three times a year. We have it pumped every three years. Probably overkill but I don't want any problems.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #3  
We have a 'whitby' bed (raised mound) and with three of us in the house we do it every year, but we don't have to. We could easily get away with 3-5 years.

Where I grew older (cause I will never grow up) the tank was put into the ground in the 1953 and didn't get pumped until 1970. 2 adults and one kid (me) lived there.
That tank had a manifold off it and 7 stringers 50' long each. We grew raspberries on top of it.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #4  
It was at least 20 years before I had the tank pumped last year... it wasn't full and was working perfectly. I had it pumped because it had been so long that I didn't want to take a chance.

Yes, the pump-people recommended 5 years. :confused3:

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #5  
I had the septic tank "looked at" when we bought the house. It didn't need pumping. That was thirty years ago.

About ten years ago, the tank cover was exposed so I could run a new line to it. I had the tank "looked at" again. Less than 8 inches of sludge on the bottom. No pumping needed.

We raised our three kids here on this septic tank and dry well system with out any sign of trouble.
I expect it to keep going along the same for many years to come. Heck, I might never have the tank pumped.... ;-)

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #6  
It was at least 20 years before I had the tank pumped last year... it wasn't full and was working perfectly. I had it pumped because it had been so long that I didn't want to take a chance.

Same here, 21 years and it didn't need it then. Don't plan to ever have it done again.

2 people in house, 1,000 gal tank, 300' of 2' wide trench for field bed, no garbage disposal.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #7  
Our septic system was sized for 4 bedrooms. With only two full time occupants, down from three 5 years ago, we haven't had it pumped in the 7 years we've lived here. Our neighbor, a single user, had the system freeze the winter before last. Said there wasn't enough bacteria to generate heat. I guess that's a consideration in colder climates this time of year.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #8  
Pretty much every time I get a new tenant... sometimes it is a waste of money and other times it is a real mess.

About every 3 years.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #9  
The idea/ideal system would need to be pumped. If you add a bunch of bleach or other products that will kill the bacteria then you will need it done more regularly. The other thing that fills them is solids that won’t break down very easily.
With a little care and being conscientious we haven’t had it done either. Only been about 10 years on each place though.

/ How often do you have your septic tank pumped? #10  
Living in WI the rule was every 3 years. I watched them closely as they did it. One time there was a foot of sludge floating and they said that is where the sludge should be.

Moved to TN and most around here seem to never have them pumped, or maybe 20 years or so. It was foreign to them, but plumbers I called to be safe said every 3-5 years. Otherwise the first sign of trouble is when it is plugged up, then you have a mess.