Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Momma bear and cub are trolling the neighborhood annoying people. Recently I had them both on my front porch, which is surprising since it is very well lit. Then one of them opened the sliding barn door and pillaged through the trash can (no food in trash.) I don't have food anywhere on the property except apple trees. No apples right now.

This year I am also overrun by coyotes. Hard to sleep at night with all the howling. I'm only a part time resident.

Any suggestions on how to encourage these pests to go elsewhere? I don't mind shooting a nuisance coyote although I am not a hunter. But I want to use non-lethal means on momma and the cub.

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #2  
Not having any experience with bears I can't help you there.

Coyotes are where food is. Do you have an abundance of small game, rabbits, etc.?? An occasional shot fired "at" the coyotes will cause them to leave. They heavily weigh involved risk when selecting food.

Anxious to hear the solutions you get from those here who deal with bears frequently.

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #3  
Best I have found is a full magazine from an AR15 at the "song dogs". They don't like it even one bit, and they usually clear out. Use all precautions on where the bullets are going to go. I can't help with the bears. I have no experience with them. But coyotes hate gunfire...

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #4  
Bears that exhibit the tendencies that you describe can be and are very dangerous. They have lost their fear of humans due to multiple possible causes but the bottom line is they have lost their natural fear. In your area I would presume they are the Black bear variety and they have found that the human environment is lucrative for food.

They will have to be relocated by the Department of Fish and Wildlife or what ever your state calls that agency.

If they are not trapped/sedated and relocated they will have to be euthanized. The alternative is not good. You should immediately contact the local department that regulates wildlife in your state and report the issue. DO NOT DELAY.

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #5  
An electric fencer 60-80 mile variety and poly wire or tape will educate them quite quickly most times, around the porch and or in front of the barn doors.
The bears, coyotes lead is the best.
A lot of bee keepers use electric fencers to keep bears out of honey bee hives.

Last edited:
   / Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #6  
I deal with black bears every year.......usually they are just passing through looking for an easy meal......if I happen upon one when I'm out I will raise my voice and wave my arms and it will look at me like I'm a deranged idiot and slowly turn around and lumber off.......but if you've got one breaking into your buildings then I would classify that as a nuisance bear and I agree with furu....they are dangerous and there is absolutely nothing more dangerous then a moma bear with her cub........you do not want to be messing with this one......call your local game warden or police......Jack

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #7  
Best I have found is a full magazine from an AR15 at the "song dogs". They don't like it even one bit, and they usually clear out. Use all precautions on where the bullets are going to go. I can't help with the bears. I have no experience with them. But coyotes hate gunfire...

Yep. :)

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #8  
An electric fencer 60-80 mile variety and poly wire or tape will educate them quite quickly most times, around the porch and or in front of the barn doors.
The bears, coyotes lead is the best.
A lot of bee keepers use electric fencers to keep bears out of honey bee hives.

Good point. That never crossed my mind. I did that to stop a raccoon from coming in my machine shed. It only took a couple days.

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #9  
South Lake Tahoe CA and bears are a reality...

A bear destroyed the propane tank line with the 500 gallon at 80% and we lost all of it.

More recently, a bear was caught by a neighbor ripping siding off the cabin.

The bears have no fear but they have free reign... you can't shoot it and the best from Law Enforcement is to Bear Harden...

It would seem 100% justifiable to stop a bear intent on coming in... unfortunately it is not going to happen so I have been told.

Note.. there is no garbage outside or any food in the place...

/ Bear on the front porch and now also in the barn #10  
I deal with black bears every year.......usually they are just passing through looking for an easy meal......if I happen upon one when I'm out I will raise my voice and wave my arms and it will look at me like I'm a deranged idiot and slowly turn around and lumber off.......but if you've got one breaking into your buildings then I would classify that as a nuisance bear and I agree with furu....they are dangerous and there is absolutely nothing more dangerous then a moma bear with her cub........you do not want to be messing with this one......call your local game warden or police......Jack

Same here,you have a lot of good advice. I've had more than a few dealings with black bears around here. If you have an encounter with a bear stand your ground,don't run.yell/growl make noise, lift up on your shirt or jacket to make yourself look larger than you are. Don't get between a moma bears and her cubs.