Financing a new barn?

/ Financing a new barn? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
I just noticed that there isn't a storage or barn section to TBN. I posted under rural living because I am hoping to catch the attention and knowledge of the farmers out there.

I am in need (aren't we all) of an additional barn. I've owned the current home and small pole barn for 4 years, so equity is low and I have a extremely low interest rate from back then.

Plenty of banks are willing to let me refinance - no thanks. Local Ag Credit was ready to help me out with some good (farm related) finance options but I lease my fields, not personally farm them - so the programs didn't apply.

So I'm looking to see if there are other programs out there (small town bank, not sure the gentleman is aware of all possible programs). OR if there are programs where I can plant / raise, etc a specialty item and qualify for financing assistance, etc. I know there are programs to bring back wildlife, CRP, etc.

I doubt I'll find anything but I thought it would be worth asking on here. I only have a few acres to farm, so on paper, the "farm" doesn't bring in much revenue, but paying for it myself, I just need something to tide me over for 5-10 years I think. I plan to build it myself - so it's really just materials.

/ Financing a new barn? #2  
How big are you wanting and what’s the approx cost it’ll be?

Brett

/ Financing a new barn?
I've designed several sizes, 40x60' being the smallest. $50k in materials, all in I estimated and priced. That was for a larger size barn, maybe 60x80 or 40x80. Gabriel style barn, so I'll have a 2nd floor to store or use as a living area or something.

/ Financing a new barn? #4  
I don't think you will find any cheaper source than a refinance if you can do so without paying any closing costs.

What is your current mortgage rate? The current (Nov. 16) average 30-year fixed rate is 3.95%.

Screenshot 2017-11-19 at 6.58.26 PM.png

Steve

/ Financing a new barn? #5  
Could do a personal line of credit. Seen them advertised for reasonable rates around 5-6% and terms of 60-72 months. Might be an option to look into

Brett

/ Financing a new barn? #6  
I don't think you will find any cheaper source than a refinance if you can do so without paying any closing costs.

What is your current mortgage rate? The current (Nov. 16) average 30-year fixed rate is 3.95%.

View attachment 529081

Steve

He said he doesn’t have much equity built in so might be more trouble than it’s worth to do a cash out refi

Brett

/ Financing a new barn?
Agreed. The equity won't cover the funds required for the barn. I don't remember exactly but I'm under 3.5%