Horse trainers

/ Horse trainers #1  

PJ The Kid

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jubilee, VAC, 7000, Cub, 1840,
Hey ya'll, just wondering if there are any other horse trainers on here. Figured it'd be good to start a thread to bounce ideas back and forth.

I have been training for a little over 15 years. I started out tuning up some neighbors roping horses and trail horses when I was about 12 and moved to breaking horses after a couple years. Trained under various well known local trainers and barns along with training for myself. After these years I love that I am still learning.

My training style is somewhat of a cross between the many trainers I have studied and worked with. Kind of a mix between old school cowboy and natural horsemanship.

/ Horse trainers #2  
I have five horses and three of them have never had a saddle on them, and probably never will. They are rescues that some friends had who could no longer take care of them due to a girl texting and driving into the side of his car. We've thought about hiring somebody to train them, but neither of us ride, or have any time to learn. They do a good job at keeping the pasture grass nice and short, and they are nice to look at.

/ Horse trainers
I have had those horses before, too old to teach anything other than ground manners. But i normally always make sure any animals I have learn good manners, not waking over the top of you, listening, etc. Had a horse for years that I had foaled especially for me, awesome bloodlines for the disciplines I wanted to get into, tried to jump a fence and broke her neck, She was the best most gentle horse ever but an adult could not ride/work her due to her neck. She was great for small children puttering around the yard though.

/ Horse trainers #4  
My wife is not a horse trainer per se, but has been riding since she was 8. She has bought yearlings before that she has broken, and trained. She rides jumpers. The first project, Tugboat, was a Percheron/Thoroughbred cross. He was jet black and quite talented. 18 hands. We sold him to our vet, who rode him fox hunting in Charleston.

Her current horse is a Belgian/Thoroughbred cross. Palomino with white socks, tail and mane. He is also a jumper, and competes at 3 feet and 3 feet 3 inches. He is about 17 hands. He's 9. She rides him on several circuits here, and has been year end champion and reserve at those heights. She has been offered a lot of money for him but refuses to sell. (darn it!)

Who knows what the next project will be. Some large cross, no doubt. She seems to like those better than pure thoroughbreds. Especially the warm blood/draft crosses. Seem to have a cooler temperament.

/ Horse trainers
I have messed with some drafts. As long as they are full size they are pretty docile, the ones you have to watch are the draft ponies like a haflinger. Hardest I have ever hit the dirt was from a haflinger. My wife trains english and western pleasure (don't know much about it past there) I have a lot of respect for the disciplines but not alot of knowledge or interest. I mostly mess with rough-out and working horses. Trained quite a number of cutters, penners, ropers, ranch horses and such.

/ Horse trainers #6  
I have messed with some drafts. As long as they are full size they are pretty docile, the ones you have to watch are the draft ponies like a haflinger. Hardest I have ever hit the dirt was from a haflinger. My wife trains english and western pleasure (don't know much about it past there) I have a lot of respect for the disciplines but not alot of knowledge or interest. I mostly mess with rough-out and working horses. Trained quite a number of cutters, penners, ropers, ranch horses and such.

I ride some, but not much and not often. When I do ride, I use an Australian saddle. For me the best part of having horses is that I need a tractor.

/ Horse trainers #7  
I ride some, but not much and not often. When I do ride, I use an Australian saddle. For me the best part of having horses is that I need a tractor.

:laughing: That's funny and fits me to...(not the riding part)

Take care of my 87 year old mothers horses- Saddlebreds and Arabian mixes and wife has purebred Saddlebred Mare. it could use some pro training , but probably to $$ for me

Last edited:
   / Horse trainers #8  
My wife trains and boards them but is getting out of the business. We had 40 animals at one point and are hovering at around 17-20 now. I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat! They do nothing for me except create work. I don't ride them and have no interest too. :D

/ Horse trainers #9  
My wife is a trainer. That is why we are now living the rural life style and I am a tractor owner. I did not think that I would like it, but have fallen in love with it. Not sure I could go back to living in the city.

/ Horse trainers #10  
My wife and I trained and showed about 40 years ago, still help out at one show each year. Things have sure changed and I'm not sure for the better. Got out of it when our employer decided he was tired of paying us. Here's a pic from back in the day.

IMG_0049.JPG